Thread: "Sculpted" joints

"Sculpted" joints

I've seen some beautiful work on the forum that included sculpted joints. I'm planning a very simple walnut bench for my kitchen that I'm in the process of remodeling, and was thinking that I might like to join the legs to the bench seat in a manner that allowed me to sculpt, or flow the legs into the top. I've never done any sort of sculpted joint, and am looking for some guidance. Is my only option the classic Maloof joint (and if so, what's the best way to learn it?), or are there others that might be a simpler intro for a newbie ?

Thanks all for any input.

The best advice I could give is to get some cheaper material (poplar perhaps), do some mock ups, and try to execute your design. That will give you some idea of how to best go about your joints and carving. Truth be told I haven't done anything like this myself, but anything that I need to do that is a bit outside of the box usually gets a trial run just to work the bugs out.

Amen to that!

Then visit your local rugby club and invite them over for some beers to test drive your mockup. If it' still there in the morning it's strong enough

Blog Entries
    +1 on mock-ups. Really any dove-tail type joint can work. Where there is more gluing surface a long tongue and groove or floating tenon / doweled joints do well in providing enough material to work into a sculpted flow.

aj-Ped-Tbl-Leg-fit-2.jpgal-Ped-Tbl-Shaping.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks guys...guess I'm off to get some cheap wood for some trial runs, and track down a rugby club!!

Nobody has bothered to mention how to sculpt one, so I'll just point out that spokeshaves and rasps are key tools for me in this situation. The physical connection is often the same as non-sculpted: M&T or dovetail or whatever. In Maloof's case, "organic flow" is the theme to think of when doing the work. Obviuosly you need to start with larger stock and waste some, but I love the process and the result. Show us yours!

Cherry with slate top:

Last edited by Tom Sontag; 11-09-2013 at 11:51 AM.