Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it you or me?

Is it you or me?

I use a PC with Internet Explorer. I have Sawmill in my "Favorites". When I first click on Sawmill Creek I get the "Web Page Cannot be Displayed" message. So I click on it a second time and it appears as usual. Is the problem in my system or yours? Not a major issue since it's only one more click but this seems kind of odd.

Ellen, I use Firefox primarily but just opened SMC in IE. Both are opening SMC with 1 click. Try clearing the SMC cookies and log on to SMC again.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I don't have any problems like that, I would delete the favorite and then go to SMC and add it again.

I use IE and am having no problems.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The problem that I'm having is if I don't come here for a while, the next time I try to access SMC it tries to redirect me somewhere...to a profile page or something like that. Very odd problem, and it does it on my shop PC and on my personal Mac as well.

John,

Our server does not redirect your browser anywhere and it never has been setup to do so. If we ever did this The Creek would be a Ghost Town.

Ellen,

Your problem might be your operating system. Mine (iMac) shuts off Internet service when there is no activity for a period of time and I have to click twice to wake up the system and get it to connect again. I know you are running Windows but you might have something installed of configured as a safety device that does something similar.

From our end deleting your SawMill Creek cookie and then logging back into The Creek is about all anyone ca do.

Sounds exactly like what any device does after my DSL is out and comes back. Is SMC the only one doing it? Is that the first place you go after waking your PC? Maybe your internet connection has gone to sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    John,

Our server does not redirect your browser anywhere and it never has been setup to do so. If we ever did this The Creek would be a Ghost Town.
    Sorry Keith. I didn't explain it well. It wasn't redirecting me to a spam page. It redirected to another SMC page. My laptop did it, my office computer did it and my smart phone did it. Then I would go back to SMC a second time, and the second time I got through OK. As of a couple of days ago, it stopped doing it just as suddenly as it started. I'd say it was doing it for about a week. No big deal, but I wish I could figure out what was going on. It was definitely redirecting me, though, because the home page would come up and then it would immediately redirect me to this other page. Very strange.

BTW, just to be clear I don't think there's anything nefarious going on. I'm sure it was just a glitch somewhere, but the thread title, "Is it you or me", prompted me to mention it.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 11-05-2013 at 10:23 AM.

John,

I've been thinking about this and it could be a DNS issue. If it was our provider lots of people would be having the same experience so it points to your internet provider if this is what happened. I will ask Aaron Koehl if he has any idea how this could happen.

I know that when my machine goes to sleep the first click gets me a DNS error message.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. This was a sporadic problem so it would be difficult to diagnose. I did delete cookies and log in again to Sawmill and I hope this solves the problem. So far (1 day), so good.

Had the same problem with an iMac and Safari. First click got me the forum page with an immediate redirect to a blank page. A second click brought up the forum page. Deleting the SMC cookie seems to have fixed it.
    Regards,
    Dick

I have google chrome and experience that problem too

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...page-not-found
    Carpe Lignum

Everything worked well for a couple of days and then it happened again today. I'll just cope with it.

Instead of bookmarks, I have a folder on the desktop with icons for forums I visit.
    Each one is a direct link. I click one, I go there. Never have had a mis-load.
    I also keep a text file with my logon info for each forum.

desktop.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night