Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some 5" Random Orbit Sander Dilemmas-Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    Yep, we are just pretty much a bunch of idiots, I guess Well, back to finish sanding that first board I started on in January...
    Don't stress it Duane, I don't think that is what he meant. Kind of like saying that after you have tried a finely tuned what-ever, you won't be happy with the "sloppier version", knowing full well that sometimes the "sloppier version" is not only sufficient, but sometimes preferred for different tasks. As an example, a very tight tolerance might make something unreliable because a little bit of contaminant getting in might fowl it up (like causing your M-16 to fail to feed in a fire fight, as in the problems they had when the M-16 was first released).

I own both the Festool sander and a Dewalt. I prefer the Festool for the dust collection, but for some other reasons I might prefer to use my Dewalt.

I've a Bosch for years with variable speed and a long hose attached to my Dust Deputy. It depends on the paper I attach how much wood I want to remove and how nice a finish I want to leave. The dust collection is remarkable. The result is great. I know it could be some better, but you'd be milking mice. I'm retired on a fixed income, the cost differential wouldn't be worth it to move up to the "Festool world". Too bad those old time wwers didn't have the festool to use or their work would look so much better.