Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you Clean your Dishwasher?

Do you Clean your Dishwasher?

Our 8 year old dishwasher was not getting the dishes clean. I was confident that the dishwasher being equipped with a built in chopper/garbage disposal was doing it's job. I looked in the bottom ,saw a ring of black mold around the seal so I ran a little liquid bleach thru a wash cycle. Black ring was gone but dishes had black flecks on them. The bleach loosened up a bunch of hidden black junk.
    I took every thing apart. What a mess. The spray arms were clogged with black jelly like gunk. All the tubes and inner parts were clogged. I soaked them all in bleach. Luckily the bleach dissolved the gunk in the inaccessible parts.

Now I'll run a little bleach thru a wash cycle periodically.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 11-02-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Never do here, but if you saw what my dishes looked like (my wife's prerinse is basically 99% of a wash) it would make sense why we don't. I know they put choppers and pumps and stuff in dishwashers, but if we put something in the dishwasher, it never has anything on the dishes that wouldn't go through a very small opening - it just avoids trouble to do it that way and the dishes come out cleaner.

do bleach remove the mess or do the bleach bleach it out so that we can not see it

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Never do here, but if you saw what my dishes looked like (my wife's prerinse is basically 99% of a wash) it would make sense why we don't. I know they put choppers and pumps and stuff in dishwashers, but if we put something in the dishwasher, it never has anything on the dishes that wouldn't go through a very small opening - it just avoids trouble to do it that way and the dishes come out cleaner.
    +1 I pre-rinse all the dishes by hand before putting in the dishwasher. It doesn't take long if you wash them immediately after eating and we never have any dried on gunk on our dishes. Actually we use our dishwasher as a sanitizer.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Use half the soap you do now. If the instructions say fill the soap dispenser, fill it half way. That's where the crud comes from.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I run a about a half a gallon of vinegar to remove the white film it leaves on glasses periodically

I also discovered the other day if I throw some borax in with the washing packet I dont have to do the pre-rinse in the sink
    the dried oatmeal in the bowls disappear

we have hard water out here...

I have not understood our new dishwasher it is quote an energy star model but takes up to 3 hours to do a load and seems to do a poor job of washing until I added boraxo to the mix
    seems to run longer than any other washer I had before, so where are the energy savings?

after a quick search I found this
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/about/other-uses/
    Increase the power of your dishwasher detergent by sprinkling a 1/4 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax onto the bottom of the dishwasher to reduce spots and film on dishes and glasses.
    Last edited by phil harold; 11-03-2013 at 1:37 AM. Reason: more info

Along time ago we were told to change dishwasher soap brands occasionally, and also to run some vinegar in it when it leaves soap scum. It seems to work.

Rick Potter

I "am" the dishwasher.Try to bath everyday.....but occasionally fall asleep on the couch?

We live in an 1810 Federal period "repro"....no DW.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Along time ago we were told to change dishwasher soap brands occasionally, and also to run some vinegar in it when it leaves soap scum. It seems to work.

Rick Potter
    not all vinegar are the same , some are red , some are white, will you recommended red or white ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    +1 I pre-rinse all the dishes by hand before putting in the dishwasher. It doesn't take long if you wash them immediately after eating and we never have any dried on gunk on our dishes. Actually we use our dishwasher as a sanitizer.
    I do the same. Our dishwasher has a filter screen at the bottom that I check periodically but I have never found anything in it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

11. DW insist on rinsing dishes immediately after eating and we also put a cup of bleach in the dish washer every week or two and also put a cup of white vinegar occasionally. Seems to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer Sr View Post
    DW insist on rinsing dishes immediately after eating and we also put a cup of bleach in the dish washer every week or two and also put a cup of white vinegar occasionally. Seems to help.
    Do you add the bleach or vinegar to the wash powder ? vinegar will foam when mix with baking soda, I would hate to see a foaming washer

Ray,

Never used red, just white. No idea if it makes a difference.

Rick P

the internet talk about red vinegar as if it are cider vinegar and the white vinegar being made from grain, IS this right ?

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    some are red , some are white, will you recommended red or white ?
    It depends... Did you eat red meat or fish?
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 11-04-2013 at 5:15 PM.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty