Thread: Vipukirves Leveraxe

Vipukirves Leveraxe

Anyone used one of these? How does it do on knotty or cross-grained logs?

http://vipukirves.fi/english/description.htm
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I've seen them before, but never used one. Looks like the twisting action could be pretty violent when the head hits a piece of wood--I'd be worried that the axe might twist out of your grip if you hit something really dense. At best, it can't be really comfortable to have that happen at the bottom of every swing...

There are a lot of videos on You Tube on it, it looks kind of neat but I would say it not going to be as good as a hydraulic splitter....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    There are a lot of videos on You Tube on it, it looks kind of neat but I would say it not going to be as good as a hydraulic splitter....
    I don't know Bill. Take a look: http://youtu.be/lTag8CLWeqw

after reading their stuff,,,, it sounds like who ever wrote it never split much wood with a maul. If done right you can make it do what you want. Their description of their tool just seems to make it easier for the person who doesn't know what they are doing
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Blog Entries
    Actually the Logmatic video under that one looked more interesting. A slide hammer wedge for splitting.
    Though I really like the feel of hefting up a maul and 'whack!' The split wood builds up in the crisp autumn air. Hard to beat it!

The Leveraxe costs approximately 155 Euros plus 48 Euros shipping. Pretty expensive to me. I think I would rather just rent a hydraulic splitter every year instead of paying 205 Euros for this device. Supposedly the high cost is because they are made by hand. The maker says he isn't selling enough to have them made on a production line. (Gee, I wonder if the high price is why they aren't selling.)

They do have a video showing the Leveraxe splitting a large chunk of wood into a number of pieces in the same time it takes a hydraulic splitter to do just one split. One has to wonder if the video was staged with the wood for the Levaraxe being very easy to split.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I think I would rather just rent a hydraulic splitter every year instead of paying 205 Euros for this device.
    I could borrow a splitter if I wanted to. At whatever point I want to get a power splitter I'll just buy one because we have a firewood ministry at church and when we have a "firewood party" we always need another splitter running. If I were going to drop bills on one, I don't think I'd go hydraulic though. I'd spend a little more and get one of the flywheel models like the Super Split or DR RapidFire.
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    I could borrow a splitter if I wanted to. At whatever point I want to get a power splitter I'll just buy one because we have a firewood ministry at church and when we have a "firewood party" we always need another splitter running. If I were going to drop bills on one, I don't think I'd go hydraulic though. I'd spend a little more and get one of the flywheel models like the Super Split or DR RapidFire.
    Charles, this is what you need, why just one split at a time.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be_ZVY0LOh0

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Charles, this is what you need, why just one split at a time.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be_ZVY0LOh0
    I've seen that puppy before. Pretty cool, but it takes all the fun out of it.
    - Dave Ramsey