Thread: Back Board Direction

Back Board Direction

Last year I built a corner cabinet period piece and the plans called for ship lapped jointed vertical boards for the backing of the piece. I'm getting ready to build a Secretary period piece and the plans indicate horizontally placed back boards. I personally like the 'vertical' look and will go that way unless that is not the proper orientation for this style of a period piece of that era. For reference, the piece I want to build is from Glen Huey's book "Illustrated Guide to Building Period Furniture." Thanks for any suggestions.

Blog Entries
    IMHO, If you are doing a specific reproduction stay true to the design. If you are just doing a piece "in the style" feel free to add your own preferences.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like the vertical look better,too. It's possible author made some changes. It's possible original had horizontal boards,but also had a cover of brightly colored paper or fabric,which is a nice touch. Not seen much now,but it keeps the space behind the books from being a black abyss. The way I would do it is cover a piece of cardboard or thin plywood so it could be removed or covering easily changed. Not difficult to find pictures of English libraries with that feature.