Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Professional Woodworkers and The Affordable Care Act

Adding to my previous post, the following are the preventive care services for WOMEN that must be provided by an insurer under the AFA:

Preventive health services for women

Most health plans must cover additional preventive health services for women, ensuring a comprehensive set of preventive services like breast cancer screenings to meet women’s unique health care needs.
    Comprehensive coverage for women’s preventive care

All Marketplace health plans and many other plans must cover the following list of preventive services for women without charging you a copayment or coinsurance. This is true even if you haven’t met your yearly deductible.
    This applies only when these services are delivered by an in-network provider.

1. Anemia screening on a routine basis for pregnant women
    2. Breast Cancer Genetic Test Counseling (BRCA) for women at higher risk for breast cancer
    3. Breast Cancer Mammography screenings every 1 to 2 years for women over 40
    4. Breast Cancer Chemoprevention counseling for women at higher risk
    5. Breastfeeding comprehensive support and counseling from trained providers, and access to breastfeeding supplies, for pregnant and nursing women
    6. Cervical Cancer screening for sexually active women
    7. Chlamydia Infection screening for younger women and other women at higher risk
    8. Contraception: Food and Drug Administration-approved contraceptive methods, sterilization procedures, and patient education and counseling, as prescribed by a health care provider for women with reproductive capacity (not including abortifacient drugs). This does not apply to health plans sponsored by certain exempt “religious employers.”
    9. Domestic and interpersonal violence screening and counseling for all women
    10. Folic Acid supplements for women who may become pregnant
    11. Gestational diabetes screening for women 24 to 28 weeks pregnant and those at high risk of developing gestational diabetes
    12. Gonorrhea screening for all women at higher risk
    13. Hepatitis B screening for pregnant women at their first prenatal visit
    14. HIV screening and counseling for sexually active women
    15. Human Papillomavirus (HPV) DNA Test every 3 years for women with normal cytology results who are 30 or older
    16. Osteoporosis screening for women over age 60 depending on risk factors
    17. Rh Incompatibility screening for all pregnant women and follow-up testing for women at higher risk
    18. Sexually Transmitted Infections counseling for sexually active women
    19. Syphilis screening for all pregnant women or other women at increased risk
    20. Tobacco Use screening and interventions for all women, and expanded counseling for pregnant tobacco users
    21. Urinary tract or other infection screening for pregnant women
    22. Well-woman visits to get recommended services for women under 65

If you'd like to get an eye opening experience with all this, a couple of guys created a site that pulls off all the same sites the ACA does and you can essentially, use the site that's broken now, through their site. Took them 3 days to create it and it works. Go figure.

However, the frightening part is to start playing around with the income and plans. The part that I think is going to fire up a lot of people is that if you want a Gold plan (in my zip code), you're looking at $1,800 a month. If you make $30,000 a year, then you get that subsidized 100%. So the poorest people will be able to select plans that will cost the working class $1800 a MONTH and they'll get them for nothing. The working people will have to get the lowest coverage because it's all they can afford. It's really stunning to see what happens with the numbers. How a part time employee that makes $20,000 a year can have a better plan than someone that makes $100,000 a year is bizarre.

I think when people find out that they can only afford the bronze plan when people without jobs are getting the platinum plans people are going to come unglued.

The site is thehealthsherpa.com - Check it it out for yourself.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Hey Scott,

I've just been mucking about with that using a friends zip code but my real family information.

That's some wacky figures it spits out!!

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post

I think when people find out that they can only afford the bronze plan when people without jobs are getting the platinum plans people are going to come unglued.

The site is thehealthsherpa.com - Check it it out for yourself.
    I don't think that the above statement is accurate. As I understand it the size of the subsidy will be based on - your income - the number of people in your household - and the price of the benchmark silver plan in the town or county where you live.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    I don't think that the above statement is accurate. As I understand it the size of the subsidy will be based on - your income - the number of people in your household - and the price of the benchmark silver plan in the town or county where you live.
    That's information directly from the same site the government is using. If you enter a person that's 40 years old, single, enter $10,000 for income, then look at the platinum plans (you have to scroll to about page 9-10), then do the same thing with someone making $80,000 a year, same plan. Since the person with no, or low, income gets subsidized, they can get a plan that's $1,800 a month for no out of pocket monthly premiums, so it's very much an accurate statement that someone without a job can get far nicer plans than someone making $80,000 a year. I don't know many people making $80,000 a year that can make a $1,800 a month payment.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    That's information directly from the same site the government is using. If you enter a person that's 40 years old, single, enter $10,000 for income, then look at the platinum plans (you have to scroll to about page 9-10), then do the same thing with someone making $80,000 a year, same plan. Since the person with no, or low, income gets subsidized, they can get a plan that's $1,800 a month for no out of pocket monthly premiums, so it's very much an accurate statement that someone without a job can get far nicer plans than someone making $80,000 a year. I don't know many people making $80,000 a year that can make a $1,800 a month payment.
    In reality that's pretty much the way it works here as well, healthcare is paid as part of our taxes, the more that is earned the more tax you pay ergo the more healthcare you pay. Down the other end of the scale somebody with a very low or only state funded income gets it paid for them and gets the same level of care.

Fully private healthcare from somebody like BUPA here can cost up to £1,700 a year (about $2,500) but for that you get pretty much everything, private hospitals etc etc for a family of 4 (two adults in their 40's and two children under 10 with both adults being smokers) more typically it's around £1,000 a year ($1,500)

It does seem to be very expensive over there

cheers

Dave
    You did what !