Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: trotec engraver

Blog Entries
    Gary,

I share you pain, but I'll add that Amie is out of the office quite a bit for days at a time (quite possibly out more than in). Replies may be slow at times, but she will tirelessly work with you to make sure you get exactly what you need... I speak from experience on this as we hashed out different options over a period of months. I'm not making excuses, I'm merely saying this is a case where the wait is worth it for the machine. On that note, if you know exactly what you want in terms of machine, power, options, etc., let her know that. She will send you a quote when she's back in the office and someone else in the orders department can take over from there.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Why don't you just call them? Or do they not answer the phone?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Amie McGee has recently been promoted to Director of Operations so she will not be our contact person anymore. Kristina Jones will be the person we contact or you can call the main office number and ask for sales and you will receive the help you need ASAP. I just talked to both Kristina and Amie on the phone to find out why there is such a long lag time when potential customers are contacting Trotec, basically Trotec is in a kind of reorganization period because they are growing and business is good.

Trotec is trying to open new offices in several cities to increase their sales and support presence. They are also hiring new people to help with sales so the contact problem should be resolved once again shortly. I say once again because they had this same problem a couple years ago during an earlier growth spurt and it took them awhile to gear up for the increased sales.

Honestly, I'm envious and I wish I had their problems

Blog Entries
    Keith....do you know what cities they are considering?
    Trotec is way beyond any budget I can imagine. Just asking for the sake of other folks here.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Hi Everyone! I want to apologize for some of the lag time we have had. As Keith said above, we are growing and opening new showrooms around the country. It is an exciting time for us! I will be working with Keith to be sure that you are contacted by your local sales rep. Please also feel free to message me and include the best way to contact you and your city and state so I know which sales rep to put you in contact with. I look forward to working with you.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-17-2014 at 8:55 PM. Reason: sp
    Trotec Laser, Inc.
    Marketing

Gary

I have to agree that the lack of response is inexcusable but I will say that after 7 years with a Trotec I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I understand your frustration but it is a superior machine.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'll second that.......Tech support is great also
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Keith....do you know what cities they are considering?
    Trotec is way beyond any budget I can imagine. Just asking for the sake of other folks here.

Dave
    Dave,

I don't know which cities are being considered or if they have made decisions yet. I expect we won't know anything until an official announcement is made.

Dave

Don't rule out the Ray Jet.

Robert Tepper's remarks are significant as he operates a high volume awards business and puts the machine to the test every day.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 01-18-2014 at 8:50 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Mike,

At your suggestion I just sent in a contact to Trotec and ask about that line. I had looked at their normal Trotec line but not the Rayjet line. I have a feeling they will still be far beyond any cost I could swing but I will look. Thanks for the suggestion! I am also curious to see how long they take to respond. When I started digging into lasers I found Epilog and Universal were both very responsive and very happy to help me even when we reached a point where I had to say their costs were higher than I could go. They still helped and were great resources. Trotec took months to respond after repeated emails and contacts through their web page. It was an interesting contrast.

Thanks again!!! Will let you know what they say!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    When I started digging into lasers I found Epilog and Universal were both very responsive and very happy to help me even when we reached a point where I had to say their costs were higher than I could go. They still helped and were great resources. Trotec took months to respond after repeated emails and contacts through their web page. It was an interesting contrast.
    I know a lot of people look at things that way, and that's what makes the world go around, but I've found that for us, we buy based on the machine and it's specifications. I couldn't give a rats bottom about whether or not some sales rep calls me back within 15 minutes. If the machine fits our needs and we want it, I'll clear my desk to make it happen. I don't leave it up to the sales staff of some company to decide what machines we put on our floor. If the one that called you back and responded the quickest sold the lesser machine, what good did that do me? So they answered me first, now I have to live with a slower machine for 7 years? I don't agree with that logic (not implying you are using that Dave, but some people do).

I've found sales staffs at all the major manufacturers to be hit and miss. That's why we don't wait for them, we make it happen ourselves. Want a machine? Pick up the phone and start calling. Don't get called back today? Call again tomorrow. I know some people don't agree with that, but I don't agree that putting ANY emphasis on the sales rep is a good idea. When your machine goes down, will you call the sales rep (who stocks no parts and can't help you), or will you call tech support? You'll call tech support. I bet you could take a poll on here from all lasers owners and see how many have ever heard from their sales rep again after the check cleared. I suspect the number would be in the 90% plus area of people who never hear from them again.

That's just my take. I know many don't agree with it, but it's put some high quality equipment on our floor that makes us good money.
    Last edited by Scott Shepherd; 01-18-2014 at 9:34 PM. Reason: spelling issues, Doh!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Scott (Steve),

I should add the Trotec response consisted of an emailed copy of a PDF brochure, never even got a quote or a follow up. Never another contact after that. While I appreciate the difference between sales and the actual device and the all important after sales support, when you combine an apparent price that was much higher than I could go with no response from sales I can't say I was motivated to go further. If I had been sold that Trotec was the way to go for my circumstances I would have persevered and found someone to talk to. But the price alone precluded my buying one. As did the price of a new Epi and Universal. Remember I am not a business at this point. Merely a serious wood turning hobbyist looking at a laser as an add on tool for wood turning and other things. If I were a full on business looking to fit this into a vital part of my processes pursuing this would have made sense.

I am open though and recognize the quality of a Trotec, so I have tried again at Mike Null's suggestion. Will see what happens.

Dave

I understand Dave, I didn't mean that directed at you, you just touched on a topic that I've seen frequently and it sparked me into responding, more in general than directly to you. I understand your position. I honestly think all 3 major brands mentioned often on here have their strengths and their weaknesses. I can make every one of them beat the others by doing "something". I can make one shine above the rest in certain situations and make the other 2 look not so hot. I've witnessed Epilog, Universal, and Trotec all deal with growing pains. It's not unique to any one brand. As someone who spent 25 years in manufacturing, I've seen that movie before. Growing fast isn't always a painless experience. In fact, it's rarely ever painless. It's always the same story from the customer, slow responses (if any responses), etc. I recall the same thing going on with Epilog and Universal as well and they sorted it all out, and I know Trotec is working hard to do it. The problem is, and this is just my opinion, it's impossible to add some of those positions overnight. You can't add 3 tech support people next week. It takes time to get up to speed to be able to support customers. You can add a sales rep next week, but how deep do you think their knowledge of the product will be? I know they have been working very hard to resolve a lot of issues and I think they are laying the foundation for the future, even though it's painful now.

Believe it or not, I don't think everyone should buy a Trotec. Or a Universal. Or an Epilog. I think everyone's needs are different and you should evaluate your needs and buy the machine that best fits your needs and budget. That might be a Chinese machine, it might be a Trotec. Doesn't matter to me. I don't get paid from anyone buying any of them. My business model doesn't rely on what someone half way around the world buys with their money.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Scott,

No worries!!! It wouldn't have mattered if you were directing your comments at me or not. They were good comments and very worth noting. For what it is worth....you can always feel free to direct whatever at me. I have chatted with you folks enough now that I consider you friends of a sort, and most certainly would not take umbrage at anything said among friends. So no worries!!! <grin>

While I dig into this it has been fascinating to me to watch folks articulate their reasons for their choices. For some it is a bit like the rivalry between Apple and MS. Others had very economic reasons, or clearly stated supply reasons, or simply different priorities that guided their choices. And then often it is simply a matter of what your primary exposure has been to. I see this in woodturning all the time. Someone who learned on an Ellsworth style grind of bowl gouge will swear by it while someone who knocks an Ellsworth may favor the older style of bowl gouge grind. When you talk with them about their start in turning you will usually find their favorite tool is what they learned on and have the most time with. Familiarity. All kinds of reasons out there.

The challenge for me has been to determine where my $$ can take me, and if a laser can do what I want efficiently or not. So far, that is making me lean towards a Chinese system, while my desire to support a western company and have some local support and supply chains makes me lean towards someone with a good reputation like Rabbit. I would jump on one of the big 3 if an appropriate amount of cash fell on my head, but odds of that happening are low. I don't live under the flight path to Boeing Field after all. <grin>

Anyway....no worries Scott! Valued your thoughts, and Mike's, and will see what Ray Jet looks like!!

Coin Flip for the Sea Hawks/49'ers game is in just a sec! Gotta get the melted Velveeta and Tortilla Chips out to the gang in the living room! Later!!! (go HAWKS!! Looks like Denver took the other seat at the Superbowl so we should have a heck of a game in 2 weeks! Hawks or 49'ers!! Either way should be a great game!) I am routing for the Hawks though. If they lose the coffee consumption in town will be brutal the next few weeks as people fight off depression with Starbucks!

Dave, watch ebay and the classified section on here. I saw a rayjet that was like new, about a year old on there for about $4,000, 65W if I remember correctly. Had less than 100 hours on it. I almost bought it just because it was $4000 for a almost brand new machine.