Thread: Ugh, always measure!

Ugh, always measure!

I learned a valuable and expensive lesson yesterday. Went to the hardwood dealer to get some lumber for some cutting boards I am making. Planned on picking up walnut, maple, padauk and yellowheart. Picked out the walnut and maple first and the first few boards I looked at I took the time to ensure they were 2 inches thick. After traipsing around to hunt down the yellowheart and padauk I didnt take the time to measure those. This morning while milling everything up I noticed that the two exotics were only 1 3/4 thick. I was planning to make the boards 1 3/4 and I really needed the yelloheart and padauk to be all of 2 inches thick.

So now, because I didnt take the time to measure each and every board, I am going to end up wasting a lot of walnut. Lesson learned I guess but it's pretty disheartening to see something advertised as 8/4 and only get 7.

Where I buy my wood, 5/4 is actually about 1" thick but it's surfaced/planed, unless you buy it rough sawn. I think that's pretty standard.

Rip the thinner wood to the same as your thicker and glue them together. This __________ becomes this |||||||||.

If you didn't get what you paid for, taking it back is, surely, an option.

Is there some reason you cant incorporate the thinner wood into the design?