Thread: Jumbo Party Bowl

Jumbo Party Bowl

This is the 1st thing I've turned in weeks, I've been keeping busy with other things and haven't really missed my turning time, but now that I have more time on my hands I'll be getting back to it.
    A couple of weeks ago I picked up some big pieces of ash and the tree trimmers asked if I would turn something for the owner of the ash tree. They suggested a chip n dip bowl. So after replacing my chain saw (that's another story), I cut a slab off one of the biggest pieces, manhandled it on the bandsaw (it weighed about 60#) and cut out a 16" blank. I had to shave it in a few spots to get it to clear the ways, but finally got it spinning freely.
    I turned it over several days in short sessions, a few more days on sanding then today carved the feet and started applying walnut oil.
    Since the inner bowl is raised on a pedestal of sorts, I hollowed out the base a bit so there wouldn't be such a thick section of wood at the bottom. Hopefully it will dry without cracking.

It's 15" x 5" with the 1st of several coats of walnut oil. Nothing fancy about the wood or bowl, but it's the biggest chip n dip bowl I've turned.
    PICT0001-001.JPGPICT0003.JPGPICT0004-002.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Very cool, Kathy. I've been meaning to turn one of these, and keep forgetting. Thanks for posting. You've resparked my interest!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Wow - that is quite the bowl! I am sure the new owner will love it! Glad to hear you will be getting in some turning time! Sounds like you need a change of pace!! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Like the way you did the bottom, not sure I would have put that much effort into it. Bet the folks will like it.

Very nice bowl, it will hold lots of chips.

Looking good! Allan
    C&C WELCOME

I have that on my list! Actually, I have a friend that does pottery and its my intention to turn the bowl and pedestal and let her make a ceramic dip bowl to rest on the pedastal (for easier cleaning ?) If/When I get my chainsaw running I have some logs crying to get turned ....

Now that's a big ash bowl. Sorry, I'm surprised someone else didn't already go there. Looking good, Kathy.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Thanks guys!
    It was a good warm-up for my next piece which I'm working on now.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Cool!You do some beautiful work! Nicely turned wood bowl!

Very nice. I have a big hunk of cherry I'm thinking of doing something very similar with.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Again, thank you, Kathy, for posting this. I had a piece sitting outside my shop door that I've been needing to get to. Put it on the lathe tonight, and started at it. As I was doing the outside curve, BOOM! it hit me...a chips and dip bowl...just like Kathy's!!!! Well, not just like it, but this piece was perfect for it. Lots of figure/crotch and the roughout was 16.5" x 4+". Its sitting in the bath. I look forward to finishing her up in a month or so. One of the small changes I'm planning on making is buying a small ceramic or glass bowl to insert into the middle dip area. That way, the customer can just pull that out to wash it. That is, IF I find one the right size. Probably would have been smart to buy that small glass dish FIRST...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I really like the concept and appearance of this bowl Kathy. But from first seeing it I have been curious if the walnut oil finish (or any finish) will be durable enough for the dip holder, if it is frequently used. Perhaps it is, I would like to know more, what has your experience shown? As the previous post has mentioned, I thought a small glass/ceramic bowl insert might work. But then again it might not be needed.