Thread: PMCIA addon card to add a parallel port to laptop?

PMCIA addon card to add a parallel port to laptop?

I got an old Epilog Legend 32 (6000 series) from gov auction. Finally got it all cleaned up, lubed, replaced a few parts, etc... Went to test it tonight only to discover that I can't just plug an ethernet cable straight from my laptop's LAN card (Lenovo W500) into the engraver's motherboard. The manual calls for Intelliscribe to do that.

The only other way to send jobs from the laptop to the engraver is through the parallel port. This engraver is old enough, it actually has a centronix style parallel connection.

Unfortunately, my laptop doesn't have a parallel port. It does have a PMCIA add-on slot, tho. So would it work to use an addon card? I see some on Amazon for 40 bucks. Intelliscribe is $300!

Or how about a USB to centronix adapter cable, like this?
    http://www.amazon.com/C2G-16898-IEEE...=printer+cable

Or does the Epilog printer driver really need 25 discreet, physical pins to send the data through to the engraver's MB?

See if you can get an older desktop to check it out.

In the Mach3 world, pcmcia add on cards and the usb-parallel devices do not work well. Even add on PCI cards for desktops are hit or miss but I have had good luck with Rosewill RC-03 and 04 PCI cards. May just be Mach but YMMV. Good luck.

Maybe try a ethernet smooth stepper?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mach3 is a controller and needs very tight and precise control of the timing of signals. This is why only a true LPT will do.

I doubt that is the case here. Just transfering the job to the controller in the Epilog. Fairly certain you could simply use a USB to LPT converter.

Lots of then on ebay for less than $5

EDIT: I missed the Centronics bit.

They are more like $7 or $8 on ebay
    Last edited by Greg Holt; 11-11-2013 at 1:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Holt View Post
    Mach3 is a controller and needs very tight and precise control of the timing of signals. This is why only a true LPT will do.

I doubt that is the case here. Just transfering the job to the controller in the Epilog. Fairly certain you could simply use a USB to LPT converter.

Lots of then on ebay for less than $5

EDIT: I missed the Centronics bit.

They are more like $7 or $8 on ebay
    Now that you mention it, you're probably right. The Epilog MB is doing harware pulse generation, much like a smooth stepper mentioned above, by Mike.

I just have to use something that windows 7 will recognize as a port through which I can send jobs to the printer.

don't waste any money,stay away from the laptop.Pick up an older desktop or a new desktop and then purchase a standalone lpt port worth about
    18.00 ,this will work .Mach3 does not like notebooks,i have experiience here

I don't think the OP was asking about Mach3

Different beast altogether.

Moot point. I was able to get it working with Epilog tech support using a crossover cable to the engraver's ethernet port.

When I do my next CNC router, I'll probably use smooth stepper or something like it for pulse generation. I'm going to want 1MHz+ to drive all the motors nice and fast. Probably going to try 4th axis, too.