Thread: Cope and stick joint-problem?

Cope and stick joint-problem?

Here is the joint made with my brand new CMT raised panel set. Ignoring for a second the fact that my stile seems a tad thicker than the rail (could've sworn they came from the same piece) does the gap that's clearly visible present a problem? I expected to get a tighter fit and I'm worried that the gap may cause my door to rack during glue up. BTW, the pieces are 3/4" birch. Should I send the set back? Advice please. TIA, Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

You need to adjust the shims on the bits. so that the tounge is a little bigger and/or the groove is a little smaller.

You're right about the thickness....

....but the gap is a gap. My CMT is fits much better than what your does. I've only used the one set I own. However, I think the joint should be tighter. I could be wrong. Let's see what others say.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

by adjusting the shims on the bit the gap will go away. The shims determain how much space is between the two cutters on the bit. If you remove a shim between the cutters on stick bit then it will bring the tongue up a bit and should solve the upper gap problem. Then remove a shim from the cope bit and it will shrink you groove a bit and should make for a nice fit.

I hope this makes more sense.

Shims on a whim

Hey, you payed for a matched set. Can it be corrected, maybe, if you want to play around with the shims as andrew explains. But if it were me I would go back to the store where you got them and exchange for another set.

Ya I can fix it but why when its not what I bought.

Glue line?

I take it that's too big of a gap for glue?
    Every deed plants a seed.

Tim Guest

I'd give 'em a call . . .

I'd call 'em and see what they say. The fit should be better. My Jesada set fits better without any adjustment. However, if they second Andrew's advice and suggest adjusting shims, I'd probably give it a shot. Easier than exchanging it and you've got nothing to lose. If you play with the shims without their consent, then try to send it back, they could possibly give you a hassle.

(Wow, you're now saying, that was really helpful . . . maybe you should return it, maybe not . . . what a genius)

btw, my first Jeseda set needed some adjustment. By using a caliper to measure the spacing and the shims I was able to quickly adjust the bit to be dead on.

Thumbs up Ok, Andrew. Makes sense.

I never gave it a thought about shims. I didn't even know you could adjust them. That's why I'm here. To learn.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Another vote for taking one shim out of the cope cutter. The cutters look like a good match otherwise. That gap looks definitely more than I would use.

Like Phil, my CMT set fit better out of box. Sometimes you get lucky.

Dave