Thread: newbie question

newbie question

Hi All, I am primarily a cabinetmaker with a cnc router and was asked to build a sign for a local Historical Society in my town. After having taken one of Keith's ADA corian weekends, I am a believer in using corian, vcarving the letters and self painting. However this sign will hang on an existing wooden post and will be two sided. the sign dimensions will be 24 X 30. The concern is the weight if 2 pieces of laminated 1/2 corian. what do you professionals think. thanks in advance, Brian

Are you going so deep that you couldn't letter two sides of one thickness of 1/2"? If so, how about 3 pieces of 1/4" instead? That would save 25% in weight and should still give you plenty of thickness to engrave.

Brian,

You can VCarve both sides of a single thickness Corian sign as long as your carving isn't too deep. When I need wide carving I use a 90 degree bit so I don't have to go very deep.

Plus you can cut out some letters and apply.... Making it more 3D.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

OK great guys.....I'll experiment with the 90 degree bit Keith. thank you, Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Brian,

You can VCarve both sides of a single thickness Corian sign as long as your carving isn't too deep. When I need wide carving I use a 90 degree bit so I don't have to go very deep.
    90 or 120? 90 degrees on a double sided sign of 12mm is only going to get you about a 7/16" wide letter. That's pretty narrow when doing a large sign.

If you are stuck on 1 piece and thin material, I'd follow Al's advice and make some prismatic letters and apply them to the sign.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Don't forget about the flat bottom V90 Bits too...

I use a font called modern that is a Single Stroke that I use the Outline Mode to cut. I only use a .1 deep but a 3/8 end mill makes nice 2.25 inch high letters. The bigger the letters the bigger the bit needs to be... for me it emulates the plastic router guide letters.

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 11-13-2013 at 1:22 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

SHS22.jpg

Hi Guys,
    what I ended up doing was running the toolpaths with a flat bottom (.175 inches deep) and V grooving with a 90 degress bit and was happy with the result. I plan to show the customer before running the sign.
    Brian