Thread: Ambrosia Maple

Ambrosia Maple

Got a truckload of Ambrosia Maple today. Any suggestions on how to break it down to get the best figure out of the wood. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe,
    You've got some nice ambrosia staining there!. I've turned a lot of ambrosia and have come to the conclusion that you don't know what is in there until you get it on the lathe. I'd prepare this log just like you'd prepare any log. If you want bowls, cut the pith out, band saw a circle and see what you get as you turn. If you want a vase, center it between centers and have at it. I don't think you can miss with this one.

+1 on what Eric just said.

I wonder what kind of maple that is... There is quite a dark spot in the middle of each log. Could be pretty! I mean, of course the ambrosia will, but that dark spot might be, too.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    I'm surprised that the heartwood has such a well-defined and strong color change... that should make for some interesting patterns.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Joe, this looks spectacular, though I agree that you won't know for sure what you've got until you get into it.

Given the contrasting darkness of the heart wood, I think I'd try to preserve as much of that as possible if you turn some bowl. I'd cut into half-rounds (at the same time cutting out the pith). Then for at least one half-round, mount and turn as if you were doing natural edge (i.e., so that the heart wood ends up on the bottom of the bowl). For another half-round, I try mounting it the opposite way, to produce dark "wings" toward the rim of the bowl. If you get around to this, be sure to post pics for us so we can share in the reveal!

David