Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut and Hickory Bed

Walnut and Hickory Bed

This is a king-sized bed I just completed for our bedroom. We gave our old bedroom set to our son when he graduated college 5 years ago so my wife has been patiently waiting for her new bedroom set. This is the first piece with nightstands and two dressers to come next.

I adapted the plan from the May 2013 WOOD magazine design. It is constructed from walnut and hickory and has four coats of Arm-R-Seal finish. The only significant mistake I made was cutting the side rails 4-1/2" too short. I had them all built but then had to take a break from this project for a few months and somehow got my measurements mixed up with the footboard when it came time to cut to length, even though I verified the mattress length three times before cutting. I added an additional walnut block to provide the length needed though it will be mostly hidden by the nightstands.

The walnut has some beautiful figure and curl to it but doesn't clash with the hickory. Overall, this project went together pretty well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Patoka; 11-12-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Blog Entries
    72 views and no comments? C'mon, guys.

Nice work. Great grain in the Hickory. Are you going to have the contrasting woods in the rest of the suite?
    I've been asked to make twin size headboards but we plan to use a metal frame and no footboard.

Jim,
    We haven't quite decided on the other pieces but it will mostly likely be a walnut/maple or walnut/hickory combo. I'm waiting for my wife to make that call. They will also be based on the WOOD bedroom set. You can see the wormy maple blanket chest and we have a maple armoire also. I built the adjoining master bath vanity using QS maple with walnut accents so everything is tying together.

We are really pleased with the hickory and it gives it a more rustic look. I resawed it so the top panels are all from the same board and bottom panels are from the same board.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I agree. The hickory headboard and the ambrosia maple chest combine to give a nice rustic look. That little jewelry chest on the nightstand mirrors the headboard, too. Nice work.

Very nice Mark! I really like that and a bed is on my list of projects.

PS I was one of those views with no comments because I usually read the board on my iPhone, and it doesn't let me see pictures sometimes (I think when they are not hosted directly from SMC).

Looks great Mark! And I don't think anybody would notice your "mistake" so long as you don't point it out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    That little jewelry chest on the nightstand mirrors the headboard, too. .
    Some of you guys amaze me with the little details you pick up that went right past me. I'll have to really scour any picture I think about posting.

Just be cautious of taking photos of chrome teapots in the nude, Jim.

The contrast with the walnut and hickory is especially nice.

Hard to go wrong with either walnut or hickory alone, but when put together, OUTSTANDING !

I think the wood selection is perfect. Well done.

12. I like it! How bad was that Hickory to work? I've got a chance to build a table for a friend who has a supply of it, and I've heard horror stories.

Nice Contrast. They go well together and the work is great.
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

Nice work Mark. It is very similar ro the king size bed I am posting in a few minutes. My wife is a solid color person, so I dont get the fun opportunities to mix woods like you did. Yours turned out extremely well. Panels are impressive and the walnut really brings out the fun grain in the hickory. I have another bed to make and I may plagiarize some of your work. Very impressive!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Looks terrific! The contrast of the woods, and the shadow lines created, look great, and the finish came out very nicely, too!