Thread: Bowl "Care & Feeding" info card

Bowl "Care & Feeding" info card

I'll be participating in my first crafts fair in early December. It's a two day church "Bazaar" (love that word). I'll have about 70 bowls to sell.

I need a “Care and Feeding” info card to hand out with the bowls.

What information do you provide to customers?

when i get home i will email you what i have on mine.

Dan J.

Partly depends on the finish. What did you use for finishing? Shellac? Oil? Poly?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Hand wash only after use. Do not let wet foods sit in it. Fine for fruits and chips. Do not soak. It will go through the dish washer once. Most of the time I just use a plastic scrubby pad. You can use soap as needed, or a wedge of lemon or lime and some table salt. Oil as needed. Some soap, water, and oil after every use. I oil maybe once a year, depending. Some never use any oil. No, the beet stains will not come out. Do not use in the microwave. Do not use it to store food in the refrigerator. If there is any food build up on the bowl, it needs soap and water. This build up is what can cause it to go sour. Wood bowls need to be out where they can breathe. I prefer walnut oil for a finish. (Doctor's Woodshop or Mahoney's). Vegetable oils can work, but care must be taken to wipe off any excess. Any sudden change in temperature and humidity can make it crack, like leaving it in the cool garage, then bringing it in the house and sitting it near a heat vent. Do not leave in a closed car during the summer.

robo hippy

robo hippy

Here are a couple of versions I use depending on they bowl type and finish. - John

Version 1
    To maintain the handcrafted finish of the bowl, simply dust it with a dry soft cloth. Do not use oil, furniture polish or cleaning products on the bowl. A good quality neutral color paste wax – Minwax Paste Finishing Wax, Liberon Neutral Paste Wax, Clear Briwax or similar - may be applied to the bowl as necessary to maintain the finish.

The bowl may be used to hold dried or artificial flowers/fruit, individually wrapped candies and nuts. The bowl is not suitable for holding liquids. Prolonged handling of the bowl may transfer oils from hands onto the wood and alter the natural colors of the wood.

The bowl should be kept out of direct sunlight. It is best to keep the bowl in a cool, dry place. Extreme changes in humidity and/or temperature should be avoided. Normal household environments are generally suitable for display of the bowl.

Version 2 (adapted with permission from Mike Mahoney)
    This bowl is a great kitchen utensil. Use it to serve pasta, salad, popcorn and fruit. After use, hand wash with warm water and soap. Rinse thoroughly. Remove excess water. Let it air dry. Do not soak it in water or put it in the dishwasher or microwave. Occasionally recondition the bowl with walnut oil or mineral oil. With proper care, it will last for generations. Please share it with the next generation of food lovers.

I use an adaptation of John King's Version 2 but also remind them to not let the fruit rot while in the bowl. No kidding, removing these stains is a common question.

Thanks for all the input. I tried to incorporate you suggestions into the following:

"Care and Feeding of Wooden Bowls

This bowl is a great kitchen utensil. Use it to serve salad, bread, popcorn, fruit, chips, etc

After use, hand wash with warm soapy water. Rinse thoroughly. Remove excess water. Let it air dry. If the surface seems a little rough,use half a lemon to scrub a teaspoon of salt around the bowl. This will both smooth the surface and purify it at the same time. Occasionally recondition the bowl with walnut oil or mineral oil.

Do not soak it in water or put it in the dishwasher. Do not use it in the microwave or use it to store food in the refrigerator. Do not let fruit rot in the bowl.

Any sudden change in temperature and humidity can make it crack, like leaving it in a cool garage, then bringing it in the house and sitting it near a heat vent. Do not leave it in a closed car during the summer.

The bowl can absorb some of whatever you put into it. You can't remove beet stains, BBQ sauce stains, or blue berry stains. However stains will add character to your bowl.

Wood is constantly moving as it gains or looses moisture with the seasons. Don’t be surprised if the bowl warps a little or changes shape over time. Its part of using natural materials and adds to its character. It will darken and develop a beautiful patina with age.

With proper care, this bowl will last for generations."

What do you think? Are there too many negative bits of info in it?

Comments? Suggestions? Criticism? - all are welcomed

I don't think the salt actually scours the wood as it dissolves, but maybe a little. That does cover just about everything.

robo hippy

I tried to rearrange what you have done to create perhaps a more readable and positive statement. What about this?

Care and Feeding of Wooden Bowls

This bowl is a great kitchen utensil. Use it to serve salad, bread, popcorn, fruit, chips, etc. The bowl will absorb some of whatever you put into it. You cannot remove beet stains, BBQ sauce stains, or blue berry stains. However, stains will add character to your bowl.

Wood is a natural material and will constantly move as it gains or loses moisture with the seasons. It may change shape over time. With proper care, it will darken and develop a beautiful patina with age.

With proper care, this bowl should last for generations. Here are some helpful tips.

Do's –

After use, hand wash with warm soapy water. Rinse thoroughly. Remove excess water. Let it air dry.

Occasionally clean by using a lemon to scrub a teaspoon of salt around the bowl, and then recondition with walnut oil or mineral oil.

Don'ts -

Do not soak it in water or put it in the dishwasher, microwave or use it to store food in the refrigerator. Do not let fruit rot in the bowl.

Sudden changes in temperature and humidity can cause the bowl to crack. Do not leave it in a cold garage, and then situate it close to a heat source. Do not leave the bowl in a closed car during the summer.

Last edited by John Keeton; 12-05-2013 at 3:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Great information compiled here. I will include it with my next rolling pin (and the repaired one). A bakery owner could have saved his original pins from splitting down the middle if he'd followed these instructions.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I do a similar thing for my bowls and cutting boards. Most of the time I am there to verbally tell them, and I print mine on the back of my business card so its even more abbreviated than Mr Keeton's.