Thread: Thirsty?

Red face Thirsty?

My neighbor commissioned me to make two beer steins. The one pictured is the completed first one. I have never made anything even remotely like this, so it took me a while to work out how to do one.

The stein is 11" tall with a natural redwood burl cap. It is 3.5" diameter at the top, slightly more at the base.

Construction:
    I hollowed out the redwood burl and made a ring for the lid and stein out of walnut to give strength to the rim. The handle is heavily burled redwood as is the inside of the lid. The hinge is semi heavy deer hide. It is completely sealed with Mahoney's utility oil twice heavily to soak in and let dry for three days.

Comments, suggestions, and criticisms are appreciated.

Redwood mug 1-1.jpgRedwood mug 1-2.jpgRedwood mug 1-3.jpgRedwood mug 1-4.jpg

That looks amazing! Where do I get one and do they come in a larger size?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

A larger size, although not by much, is in the works next. How big would you want it? These are costing him $350 each. He is going to take it to his family get together and brag to his stein collector brothers. They are going to go nuts.

Beautiful stein! I can imagine collectors being green with envy!

The only thing that bothers me is how functional it will be long term, or is it expected to be more of a display piece than a daily use piece? I would worry about it holding liquid after much use with the porous nature of the burl body even with an oil finish.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

Definitely a thirst quencher.

"The best things in life are not things."

Definitely unique and quite original. Your friend will be pleased I'm sure. How did you hollow the long stein body, Forstner bit or gouges?
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Definitely unique and quite original. Your friend will be pleased I'm sure. How did you hollow the long stein body, Forstner bit or gouges?
    Drill, then gouges, then the last 3" was done with a square carbide cutter. The last 1/2" was scary due to the piece grabbing the tool and spinning it. It was pretty far out there at that point.

Pretty neat. How did you attach the handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mawson View Post
    Pretty neat. How did you attach the handle?
    The handle is attached first by sanding to match the shape of the outside, then drilling a hole for a 1/4" dowel to sit in. Once it was set, I "dinged" the stein to get the exact placement and drilled and set the handle.

Got quite the head of foam on that mug-o-wood....

Pretty cool!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

That is really great, Larry!
    Greg Ketell
    "Permanent Turning Newbie" aka "Always trying something new"

See my photo gallery here
    (in need of updating)

Very nice and a fun new thing to turn! I have been collecting steins for a long time but have not gotten around to finishing off my "Man" cave so they are stored in the attic, but this will give me a kick in the rear to turn one for myself and get the other 100 or so on some shelves.

Nice work and should be the envy of all

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown