Thread: Garage door remote question

Garage door remote question

I got a new truck and tried to program the remote with the opener and the truck, that didnt work. So I hit the learn button on the garage door opener ( the body mounted to ceiling). Which was option two if one didnt work. So now it works just fine from the truck. My issue is now the keypad outside the garage door doesn't work? Any ideas? My older truck they both worked fine. The garage door button on garage works fine as well, just the keypad outside doesn't.

Thanks

Some units have a short period of time that you have to essentially reprogram "everything" once you push the button...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Some units have a short period of time that you have to essentially reprogram "everything" once you push the button...
    Yep. I just went through that with our newest opener.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks. I will try and find out the keypad programming info. It came with the house.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That, and some have a limited number of slaves they will accept (like car remotes)... if the keypad was one of the first units to be tied in, a newer unit being programed may have rolled the keypad off of the list of accepted slaves.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

My car is equipped with Homelink, circa 2006.

It won't capture "rolling" codes.
    Check your manuals to find out if the keycode is fixed, or rolling.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    That, and some have a limited number of slaves they will accept (like car remotes)... if the keypad was one of the first units to be tied in, a newer unit being programed may have rolled the keypad off of the list of accepted slaves.
    Dan is correct. You will need to re-teach the opener for the keypad. This may cause one of your other openers to roll off too. So you'll have to keep doing this until it causes your now-unused opener to be the one to roll off.

My guess would be that your door opener can learn 5 devices, and your new truck was the 6th. Your truck is now #1, and your keypad, which used to be #5 was forgotten. Somewhere in the opener's memory is either a duplicate or a blank. You'll have to cycle through programming each of your openers until that blank one is the one that rolls out of memory.

On Chamberlain built units, holding the programming button on the receiver for a bout 8 seconds will erase all codes! Reprogramming it for the keypad should fix it. Usually, pressing the program button momentarily, then entering your code on the keypad, press "Enter" and hold till the GDO light blinks and release the Enter button, should work. Chamberlain makes Craftsman, Chamberlain and many others.

Ohter brands? Find a manual?

Thanks Rick, makes sense.