Thread: Bench Dog ProLift plate size and table compatibility?

Bench Dog ProLift plate size and table compatibility?

I recently came across a good deal on a lightly used Bench Dog ProLift and PC router and am now looking to complete the rest of the table.

It looks like the plate size on this is smaller than usual (8 1/4" x 11 3/4") vs (9 1/4" x 11 3/4") so I am wondering what off the shelf tops will a accept this lift besides the Bench Dog ones?

i have nothing against the bench dog products, I am just bargain hunting on eBay, craigslist, etc to try and find a good deal and knowing what would fit ahead of time will make it easier.

thx

Quote Originally Posted by David Kuzdrall View Post
    I recently came across a good deal on a lightly used Bench Dog ProLift and PC router and am now looking to complete the rest of the table.

It looks like the plate size on this is smaller than usual (8 1/4" x 11 3/4") vs (9 1/4" x 11 3/4") so I am wondering what off the shelf tops will a accept this lift besides the Bench Dog ones?

i have nothing against the bench dog products, I am just bargain hunting on eBay, craigslist, etc to try and find a good deal and knowing what would fit ahead of time will make it easier.

thx
    Or maybe Jessem is larger than usual which was the only data point so far...
    Last edited by David Kuzdrall; 11-16-2013 at 9:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    Bench Dog plates do run smaller than others. I have never seen another vendor's table opening that matched. If you make your own its a no-brainer. For off the shelf, visit Rockler.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've got there CI router table top. My research hasn't yielded any other manufacturers using Benchdog's standard.

I also have the BD cast iron table top, very nice but not cheap. Rockler sells a DIY 8 1/4" x 11 3/4" template for cutting your own router table top.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...dDeactivatedCC
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It would be nice if Benchdog would make a replacement mounting plate for their lift that would fit a standard opening. Then it would be just a matter of swapping out the plate for the existing one.
    Where's the beef.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Giersberg View Post
    It would be nice if Benchdog would make a replacement mounting plate for their lift that would fit a standard opening. Then it would be just a matter of swapping out the plate for the existing one.
    That would be great as soon as you find a "standard" opening.

Woodpwcker - 9-1/4 x 11-3/4 x 3/8 thick
    Rockler -
    8-1/4" x 11-3/4" x 1/4" thick
    Peachtree - 9" x 12" x 3/8" (1/4" lip)

Etc., etc. etc. Each one is "standard" for their products. This is why many folks here emphasize choosing your lift or plate and then building or buying the matching table. When you choose a brand you are buying into their methods. For example; Rockler runs 5/16" x 18 TPI jig hardware for many of their products whereas Woodpecker and others are almost exclusively 1/4" x 20TPI. I prefer the heavier hardware but, now have more 1/4" that 5/16" since more brands use it.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-18-2013 at 1:07 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use the jessem mast-r-lift smaller size in my bench dog cast iron top. Works great. Fits perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

9. I have the Rockler lift shown in this ad http://www.rockler.com/rockler-high-...fx-router-lift . It appears that it could be diffrent from the current offering, my version fits well into the Bench Dog extension I have mounted to my Jet Table saw. Both are 14 months old.