Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a grace period for editing posts?

Is there a grace period for editing posts?

Most forums have a grace period for editing forum posts. Does Sawmill Creek have such a grace period?

The grace period on most forums allows a user usually five minutes to edit their post before it gets marked as edited. This allows the poster to fix any problems they spot immediately after hitting submit like missing or misspelled words.

Brian, SMC members have a 24 hr editing window. You would need to contact a moderator after 24hrs.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I believe Brian wants to edit the post without the tag "Last edited by" appearing. I suggest using the advanced editor and then use 'Preview' to check and correct your post before submission.

I created this post in Advanced and then left it in 'Preview' for a few minutes . . . . let's see what happens. . . .

OK, apparently that works for 2-3 minutes at least. I am adding this line by editing the previously posted part of this post.

OK, interesting. It looks like the "edit" window doesn't start till you actually post. This might mean that you could edit your brains out in Preview mode to see what your post will look like and then, when satisfied, go ahead and post it. Let's see if the "Last edited by" tag appears this time . . . .

Yep, there it is.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-17-2013 at 4:27 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There is something about clicking the post button that makes me realize I misspelled something or left out a critical word. Most forums seem to allow five minutes to edit a post without getting that Last edited by tag. I think when people see that a post was edited they wonder why the poster edited their message.

I am trying to figure out how to edit my post so that i can change the title of my project from work in progress to completed.

Matt, as mentioned above, you have 24 hours in which to edit your post. After that, you need to contact a moderator to make any changes. To edit the title of your thread - providing it is within that 24 hour window - after you click on edit, then click on Go Advanced. Once in the Advanced Edit window you will be able to change the title.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

the window for editing a post without the edit tag appearing is mere minute or two here on SMC , on 'other' forums that can be up to ten minutes or more but most are in the 3 to 5 minute range . I've been able to correct spelling/wording errors here on SMC at times without the edit tag showing up if & only I spot the mistake very quickly , there by editing in less than a minute any longer that 'Edit' tag appears .
    the owners would have to adjust the software in the back-end of V-bulletin to change the timing of the limits on when the 'grace period' is over to quick editing without the tags appearing .
    as the forum owners would like all of 'Us' to use the advanced reply & preview each & every post 'We' make , in the real world that just is not gonna happen with most of 'Us' .
    I do notice that SMC posts are full of spelling errors more so than 'other' forums & I suspect this because of the quick grace period .
    Alotta guys would rather the errors post than have that edit tag show up
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Blog Entries
    For those who feel uneasy about the "Last edited by" tag, there is a field where you can state why you edited the post. Mine usually has something like 'sp' for spelling or 'added pics' for when I decide folks will understand better with a couple of snapshots of something. If you want to edit things and have it hidden, use another editor or use 'preview' before you commit by submitting the post.

If you are one of those folks who tends to say things and then think better of it . . . do what I do. Open a word processor and type your brains out. Then edit it to where it is more acceptable or more like what you really meant to say (that is; delete things like "you empty-headed moron" or "how dare you not stink the way that I do" and so forth) then cut and past your now pristine text into the forum
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-16-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: I declared myself KING but, thought better of it.

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    If you are one of those folks who tends to say things and then think better of it . . . do what I do. Open a word processor and type your brains out. Then edit it to where it is more acceptable or more like what you really meant to say (that is; delete things like "you empty-headed moron" or "how dare you not stink the way that I do" and so forth) then cut and past your now pristine text into the forum
    If we were copy editors/proofers or professional writers then that should happen BUT we're woodworkers ,
    The Most Important posters here are 'Pro' & 'Master' woodworkers by trade , these guys are the bread & butter of SMC , Those are the guys who we need commenting & answering questions but not having to pre-edit every response in a word doc .

The ease of use of SMC should be as simple as possible not difficult IMO
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Extending the 'grace period' a little would be a good idea IMO. Preview is good but it's only available in advanced mode. Most of us hit 'reply to thread' and type away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mahan View Post
    The Most Important posters here are 'Pro' & 'Master' woodworkers by trade , these guys are the bread & butter of SMC ,
    Interesting opinion. I've never thought of SMC that way. I've gotten more value from the garage and basement crowd myself. That's one of the great things about a few forums on the web, the mix of skills and the ideas that spring from them ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-17-2014 at 8:57 AM.

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

I chisel my posts into wood first. When I make a mistake, I fill it in with a mixture of epoxy and sawdust. Then I sand to 320 and pop the grain with BLO, followed by some Waterlox. By this time, the thread has either been locked, or 5 other people already made the point I wanted to make, so I smash the computer with a mallet and go drink beer instead.

edit:
    BTW, I've found the "last edited by" thing to be a little inconsistent. This isn't the only board I'm a member of. I don't know if it happens here or elsewhere, but I definitely recall it NOT showing up after many hours, but sometimes showing up after an edit just seconds later. I wonder if it's actually timed, or if it has to do with whether or not someone has actually read your post yet.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-17-2014 at 9:08 AM.

I've noticed that there's a time period where I can edit a post and not have the "Last edited by..." message. I always thought it was until someone viewed the post but it may be a time period.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I don't know why the edit notification even needs to be there. Some forums I use don't have it enabled.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Just my opinion, but, I really don't care one way or the other about the last edited by tag. I think I edit about half my posts, mostly because of misspelled words or grammar. I sometimes go back and add to or remove from my original post. Either way, it really doesn't matter to me if someone knows I did that. I don't remember ever once noticing that someone had edited their post and thinking "Gee, I wonder what was so horrible that they had to change their post?".
    Is this really that important to you? I just don't get it! I tend to agree with Myk on this one. If I wanted to let people know that I had changed my post because it was note worthy I would just say that in the post.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 02-17-2014 at 1:43 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.