Thread: Another Dutch Tool Chest Build

Another Dutch Tool Chest Build

I recently finished a Dutch Tool Chest, based on the article in Popular Woodworking Mag. I built it because I thought it would be a fun build, plus I've been teaching a few classes at my local woodworking supply shop and I hated carrying my tools in cardboard boxes. The thing I thought I would share here are my only 2 "new" ideas on the project.

1 - For the back I used pine T&G boards from the home center. They made construction really easy because I just cut them to length and screwed them on. I know plywood would have been easier, but I wanted to stay with solid wood.

2 - Side handles - I moved them up toward the top of the chest because I thought it would make the chest easier to carry. I also reinforced the sides on the inside of the case so that the screws through the handles were 1.25 inches long rather than 0.75inches. Longer screws should be less likely to pull-out in my thinking, and the reinforcement should make the chest less likely to split. Time will tell.

I did a basic build-along on my blog, if you would like more info. Critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

a couple more pictures of the side handle. Any questions are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...

Bob, My thoughts... 1) It's going to look a whole lot different in 30 years. It's cool to see it pristine. 2) The top is screaming for some sort of carving. Maybe initials and date, if not an artistic endeavor. 3) Furniture dolly companion. 4) Would a lock not be a useful addition if used for travel? 5) OK, this is a reach... While the handles are obviously needed and useful, have you seen folks carry trunks, bags of grain, etc. on their backs using a tumpline over their forehead? If you have a launch pad (back of the truck) and a landing pad (destination workbench), that might be an easier way to tote a lot of weight around. Looks like a fun project that will give decades of service. Bill

Blog Entries
    have you seen folks carry trunks, bags of grain, etc. on their backs using a tumpline over their forehead?
    This seems like one of those things if you have grown up doing this all the time it would be fine. Someone who is not accustomed to using their neck structure to carry loads might be inviting painful problems.

My experience with years of upper body pain tells me it is something that is not for me, ymmv.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You could always hire a sherpa to move it... Nice look chest by the way!
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Nice work there Bob!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Inside photos please? Looks very useful from here.
    David

Been following your blog. Nice chest and been enjoying your work.

Bob,

Thanks for sharing. I really like the tongue and groove back you made.

Pete

Here is my interpretation of the chest. I really like the style and function of the design. I still have to make the racks for the interior and figure out what I can "store" on the underside of the lid. So far, everything put my two hands saws will fit in the chest - including my framing square thanks to a small notch in the back corner of the shelf.

I started with eastern red cedar (ERC) 1"x6" lumber from a band-saw mill and worked it all by hand. ERC is very difficult to work with but I like the crazy grain patterns, mottled colors, and knots...likely a myth, but an old timer told me that tools don't rust nearly as quickly when stored in a ERC chest. I put 2 coats of BLO on the outside. The front and back have 1/8" rabbets to fit "into" the carcass to help stiffen it. The compass work was just experimenting/learning. The sine wave went awry and to hide the mistakes, I had to gouge it out to a sizable groove.

It was a good project with lots of firsts: dovetails, tongue and groove, beading, breadboard ends, geometric patterns. I have gathered how-to from many places, not least of all here in this forum, so thanks for the help!

William

IMG_0823.jpgIMG_0824.jpgIMG_0827.jpgIMG_0828.jpgIMG_0820.jpgIMG_0806.jpg

Beautiful chest. Nicely done. You have a real treasure there. Ralph

William, nice chest… that cedar looks great. nice VW, too. -pete

William,
    Thats is the coolest DTC I've seen yet. All those knots must have been fun to plane. Super nice work - I really like the cedar. I'll bet your tools smell great.

Thanks for the compliments all. Good eye on the VW there Pete. As for the knots, they aren't fun but not as bad as the grain surrounding them-it tears out adjacent to the knots. The funny thing is that I don't smell the cedar now - familiarity breeds contempt - so all those hours dimensioning stock and working on assembly have dulled my olfactory nerve I suppose. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over the coming years.

William

Bob, that's an awful big box to be carrying to and fro - I would certainly get a hernia trying to lift it. I suggest putting some big wheels on it with a rope / handle to tow it as much as possible. How much does it weigh empty / fully loaded?