Thread: Vacuum Cleaners

Vacuum Cleaners

What kind of vacuum cleaner do you have? Do you like it? What do or don't you like about it? Would you recommend it? My wife is a carpet cleaning fanatic, and she needs a new vacuum. I was thinking a Dyson or a Oreck. I trust SMC's opinons on tools, so I'll trust you on vacuum cleaners.
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Newman
    What kind of vacuum cleaner do you have? Do you like it? What do or don't you like about it? Would you recommend it? My wife is a carpet cleaning fanatic, and she needs a new vacuum. I was thinking a Dyson or a Oreck. I trust SMC's opinons on tools, so I'll trust you on vacuum cleaners.
    One vote for Dyson here, no experience with Oreck. It's far and away the quietest vacuum I've ever heard and works great...or, as we say at work, "sucks like a Hoover" . The "turbo" hand tool is essential if you have pets.

I have a Dyson and a 20-year-old Rainbow (that was WAY too much money, especially back when I bought it). Both work well. I prefer the Dyson because it's easier to empty, but LOML prefers the Rainbow, since is feels ligher to her. (I think it's actually a bit heavier, but it's balanced better for her.)

The Dyson is about a year old, and I have no complaints whatsoever. I've even used it to clean the carpet in my garage/shop. It gets the stuff the Shop Vac misses.

- Vaughn

The Dyson.

I would be embarrashed to tell you what my Hoover left behind and the Dyson found.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Wes,

I did some research a while back for a lady who couldn't decide whether to go bagged or bagless. I learned quite a bit and it all comes down to this: They are all pretty much the same. You should base your choice on power consumption (the more the better). The bag systems offer the same performance over the life of the Vac. The bagless ones offer the same performance as the bagged units when they are new, but there is a slight decrease in performance after a few months...then it levels off. Bagless are desired because you don't have to buy bags....BUT, you do have to buy filters and you are in intimate contact with the dirt when you empty it. (not advisable for germaphobes)

We have both...I don't like using either one...but that has nothing to do with their performance.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson