Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gas oven and electric range?

gas oven and electric range?

We bought a house a year ago. The oven and range are gas. The range is nice, but oven just seems like a mistake. Why on earth would anyone want a gas oven? Never mind... Do they sell oven/ranges with electric ovens and gas ranges? I have seen very expensive dual fuel units, but it never describes what they are. Electric/gas, or something else?

How many amps does a single oven normally require? IIRC the one at my old house was 40a, but that was a double oven.

Thanks.

(I am using "range" to describe the burner on top of the oven; maybe that isn't the right terminology...)
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 11-21-2013 at 2:56 PM.

Wade,

They do sell them. The dual-fuel ones I looked at were 240 VAC and Natural Gas. The really expensive ones have an electric convection oven which is different than a standard electric oven. We had a convection oven and my wife didn't want to take the time to learn to use it.

My neighbors bought a gas range with a gas oven. They love the cook top and hate the oven.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I am no chef but my wife is. She says that "gas range" and "electric oven" is the best combination for cooking.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

First let me say I was a gas range lover until I leaned that an electric cook top is cleaner. A gas range deposits the by-products of combustion on to your walls and ceilings. You are burning fossil fuel and the combustion gases, the sames ones you vent to the outside from your gas water heater, are vented into your kitchen. I experienced this a a teenager. My parents had and always did have a gas range. They always complained about the how the kitchen walls were always greasy, not just the ones near the range. My aunt had switched to an electric range and she proved that the greasy residue on the walls was from the gas range because once she switched to electric she had no greasy residue on her walls.

I think gas cooks better but I do not want the combustion fumes in my house.

George

I just looked at ranges at BestBuy.com
    Gas and electric start at $500 and go to $2,000.
    Duo fuel start at $1,200 and go to $5,000.
    Am I misunderstanding something? Why are duo fuel so much more expensive that either of the others?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Why on earth would anyone want a gas oven?
    My neighbor used to have the pilot light style gas oven. He used it as a desicator / jerky dryer. It worked great for that. I don't think they make pilot light version anymore. All electronic ignition.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    In truth, I have no idea why they are that expensive. I could see them at double the price of a single fuel unit. Is the bottom of the line unit a step up from the bottom of the line single fuel unit?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

My wife is a cook. We have a top-of-line 6 burner gas range and an electric double oven combination. We don't have the grease situation mentioned. Why? When we installed the "Wolf" gas range, we also installed an 1100 cfm removal fan over the gas range (exits to the roof) with 3 speeds that will suck the chrome off a tail pipe. The pipe going up to the roof is 10" in diameter. There is a filter at the entrance to the fan I occasionally have to put the in the dish washer, but that's no problem. It also has a light which is a nice convenience. On the first speed, it's not very loud but it is very efficient. When she really gets going and has all 6 burners going, she cranks that fan and you can see the steam going right up the fan and surrounding air being pulled in. Without that fan, I'm certain there would be grime on the walls. With it, we just don't have that problem.

Blog Entries
    It's all about volume. The less you build of anything the more it costs. Regular gas or electric ranges are made in the millions per year, dual fuel units are probably less than a few thousand annually.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

George, have had a gas range & oven for over 30 years... no residue at all from it.. love the gas when we lose power, we can still cook...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    George, have had a gas range & oven for over 30 years... no residue at all from it.. love the gas when we lose power, we can still cook...
    That's the downside of electronic ignition, unless there's a way to light it manually in a pinch. Our gas furnace is electronic ignition but can be lit using a long match or propane torch in a pinch. When the thermostat calls for heat, the gas valve opens then closes after a few seconds if there's no heat (ignition). I learned that one cold night when the electronic ignitor decided it had lived long enough.

I always thought the modern pinnacle of cooking was an induction cooktop (range, hob, whatever). I'm sure there are induction slide in units that include an electric oven to go with the electric (induction) cooktop. I know those cooktops pull some juice (40A breaker) but it will be my cooktop of choice when we renovate our kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    Same with us....we love our natural gas stove and oven. The LOML has been more than thrilled since we changed the old electric out for the new gas unit.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Wade,

They do sell them. The dual-fuel ones I looked at were 240 VAC and Natural Gas. The really expensive ones have an electric convection oven which is different than a standard electric oven. We had a convection oven and my wife didn't want to take the time to learn to use it.

My neighbors bought a gas range with a gas oven. They love the cook top and hate the oven.
    The time your wife would have taken to learn the convection oven would have been saved in its use the first time--cooking times are about half! (Someday...)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I am no chef but my wife is. She says that "gas range" and "electric oven" is the best combination for cooking.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    I agree. Too bad we have a gas oven, though it does work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    My neighbor used to have the pilot light style gas oven. He used it as a desicator / jerky dryer. It worked great for that. I don't think they make pilot light version anymore. All electronic ignition.
    Commercial gas ovens often still have pilot lights.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I have a GE dual fuel range.. gas on top, electric convection oven. I would not go another route now that I have time using it. You can buy them at box stores but usually they have to be ordered. The only thing I would like on mine is a grill in the middle instead of a larger burner. While I can use a griddle in the middle burner, I'd probably "Grill" more than making say pancakes, etc.