Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraving Leather using "blue" masking tape to cover the leather

Engraving Leather using "blue" masking tape to cover the leather

Has anybody used the "blue" masking tape to cover a leather surface before engraving? I used this material and while it kept the smoke and other debris off the leather, it is a pain to remove. Does any one have a "positive experience" involving removing blue masking tape from leather?

The blue tape adhesive becomes stronger than regular adhesive when you burn through it. Try using high tack transfer tape (paper type, not clear). Sign supplies sell it in various widths or even custom cut, but 2" is usually a standard size.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I usually use a clear wax such as Johnson's paste wax for floors. I haven't tried it on blue but it works on black, brown and tan leathers. You should be able to clean the residue with a damp rag.

religious.JPG
    Last edited by Mike Null; 11-23-2013 at 7:40 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Mike, that's a great tip!

May sound silly - Is this the wax in the big yellow can? I've tried looking for it before for another tip but at our Home Depot doesn't say floor wax on the can.

Vicki

Yes, both Johnsons and Minwax make it but you want to be sure to get natural or light as opposed to dark.

I just checked mine and it is Minwax natural. It is called "paste finishing wax". (I think my original can was marked floor wax)

I have made and engraved several pieces using this wax and one of them, a box I made for my wife, is more than ten years old and looks like new.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 11-23-2013 at 9:46 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Rivrud View Post
    I've tried looking for it before for another tip but at our Home Depot doesn't say floor wax on the can.
    It was quite hard to find at my store, and not quite in the place I expected. If memory serves, it was in the aisle next to the lawnmowers, grills, etc. Other cleaning products were there, but a single stripe of yellow cans is easy to lose amidst all of the other products.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I engrave (what will be) leather motorcycle seats, black, white, raw, various oiled-tanned shades, and all me or the shop does is wipe them off with a bath towel. Never had a "goo" problem. Personally, I'd be afraid to use wax on any of the leather I engrave...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

What about saddle soap for leather... Personally I use Pledge furniture polish. thinner layer of wax / protectorant.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

It also depends upon what type of leather you are engraving. Deerskin & pigskin, for example, are quite a bit different then cowhide. Wax would work better on the surface of cowhide.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Please explain how the wax is used. The first post concerned the tack of blue tape.

Ernest

The wax idea was offered as an alternative to the blue painter's tape. In my experience I found that the painter's tape can sometimes damage the surface of the leather.

Mike Chance makes a good point as the wax cannot be used with all leathers.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thank you for all the alternatives. However, the problem I have isn't solved (if there is a solution). The "gist" of my original question was; Does anyone have a solution to removing blue painters tape from leather? ie Is there something (alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, etc.) that will cause blue painters tape "adhesive" to release from leather permitting easy removal without damaging the leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Lueck View Post
    Thank you for all the alternatives. However, the problem I have isn't solved (if there is a solution). The "gist" of my original question was; Does anyone have a solution to removing blue painters tape from leather? ie Is there something (alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, etc.) that will cause blue painters tape "adhesive" to release from leather permitting easy removal without damaging the leather?
    You might try warming it up with a heat gun to soften the glue..I use heavytack transfer tape, and sometimes pastewax.. The pastwax goes a long way, I have one can here that is still good that was aquired as a half can from someone else in 1969 It's probably circa 1960-65. If you keep it tightly closed, it may last forever
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Blog Entries
    Roger,

i normally remove tape residue from things with mineral spirits or acetone. An orange cleaner might work as well. Particularly the gunk remover type that is available for removing stubborn adhesives. I have never tried this on leather though.

Before you go that route i might use lexol leather cleaner and see if that worked. At least it wont harm the leather. Once you get that stuff off successfully though i think most of the crew here is suggesting you would be better served by changing masking methods for your next leather project if possible. Avoid the problem altogether?
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Lueck View Post
    You don't state what type of leather it is. Depending upon what type of leather you engraved, many types of cleaners will cause staining or damage the leather.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."