Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Miniature Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Juarros View Post
    Thanks Jack. Little planes are well suited for small projects, but I'd keep the bigger ones just in case. . . Ralph
    I've proven to myself that larger bull noses don't do anything for me, much prefer a chisel. Think it's time to sell that one LN that's been sitting in a box forever. I am thinking of actually starting a project to make several miniature boxwood planes. Not as small as yours, though, would be more or less impossible in boxwood.

I build special boxes for special things, and I tend to build special things of many sorts.
    The "package" is important and reflective of the "gift" it contains.
    This is also the case in proper presentation of a trophy or work of art.
    And as much attention to design and construction of the box is employed as in that of the item that it complements.

Sometimes the box is designed to contain a particular item.

In this case, batteries, wire harness, switches and lights.

And on the box is a custom designed miniature (of course) solenoid pendulum engine.

See it in action on you tube:

http://youtu.be/J4sgMcHpB4k

See other items under " miniatures by Art Rafael"
    Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 04-16-2014 at 1:39 PM.

Miniature ACME wrenches - a recent build. Ralph

A comparative scale

and now we have two

Since this is primarily a woodworking forum, I am demonstrating the process I often employ in the design and construction
    of an all metal item beginning with construction of the wood model prototype.

First the pieces are prepared - shaved and cut to size. In the case of building miniature tools, typically other miniature tools are best suited for the job.

then carefully measured, marked, cut to size and drilled if / as needed

Some prototype components must be fashioned of metal. In this case brass is used,
    but in the final version a silver wire will be carefully measured, twisted and threaded.

Then all the parts are fitted together to yield a sample of size, form, shape and feel (eye appeal). The background graph paper is 1/4 inch squares.

Comparative scales:

Since I find it pleasing and now have now discovered the way to proceed and pitfalls to avoid,
    I will next build a silver model - perhaps several. But there will ever be only one unique wood prototype. Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 05-09-2014 at 5:58 PM.

Silver 1/3 scale wrench along side the wooden prototype. Ralph

Together with the 1/4 scale wrench

A comparative scale

This is absolutely incredible. I am in awe!

So... are you making an anarchist's toolchest the size of a lunchbox?

Thanks, Federico. I appreciate your thoughts. Yes, I have built a tool board and bench but now do need a larger tool box for the collection:

See an action video on youtube at

http://youtu.be/B9XXJ2tUhOU

along with other videos under "Miniature tools by Art Rafael"

My collection of miniature tools is growing - one piece at a time. Ralph

Blog Entries
    Those little hammers are handy for folks who like peanut brittle.

Beautiful stuff.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim. I love peanut brittle - - and miniature tools. My miniature tools are what I call "Pocket Jewelry for the Well Dressed" (c). -- a pipe wrench for a plumber, a monkey wrench for the mechanic, etc.
    I always take some with me wherever I go, and those who know me ask to see what's in my pocket each time. I usually have a new tool to show
    and am gratified to see that friends appreciate my work. Here is a picture of some of my wrenches and master patterns. Ralph

A comparative scale:

Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 05-28-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Back to woodworking tools. My wife just loves her new earrings. And they actually work to shave tiny wood. Ralph

Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 06-09-2014 at 1:13 PM.

"A lever and a place to stand" : I have been pondering the idea to build a miniature model of an old timey car / wagon jack and have looked for a full scale model or suitable pictures for quite some time but have not yet found one like the one I remember from days gone by. As I remember, it did ratchet up mechanically, and a small click lever held it up while the handle was lowered to ratchet up another stroke. It worked similarly in the lowering mode. But I have been unable to visualize the the relative components and mechanical interaction of that jack and decided to build a model of one that I could visualize and whose picture I found on the net.

I did not photo document the build process since its design is very straight forward as evidenced by the finished model. And yet its operation is quite sophisticated in that the effort and resistance arms are configured on different planes and anchored on an elbowed fulcrum point allowing it to lock-over at the completion of the stroke. I didn't invent this mechanical marvel - only learned to appreciate it more as I attempted to create a miniature version.

Since this model was built entirely from bar stock (brass), and no cast parts were used, it is noteworthy that it required some complicated and delicate silver soldering operations. On various parts, several soldering operations were performed in sequence employing different solder hardness under carefully regulated temperatures so that one soldering operation would not cause prior joints to overheat and fall apart. Several times I messed up and had to start over.
    This was a challenging project that helped me better appreciate mechanical relationships and learn torch temperature control. Ralph

Comparative scale:

See the action video on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQiS_...&feature=share
    Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 06-21-2014 at 4:21 PM.

I have started a new project - another miniature jack.
    This one will have a compound ratcheting mechanism that can deliver several lifting strokes and a pawl that locks each lift in place while the effort arm takes subsequent lifting strokes.
    I'll spare you the verbage this time and post sequenced fabrication photos.

Brass flat stock cut to size

Some parts configured and silver soldered to form post, host and base components.

All parts are painstakingly formed by hand. No sophisticated machinery is employed, but I am well familiar with jeweler's saws and files.

Seven Ratchet teeth cut and Seven to go.

More as it develops. Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 07-03-2014 at 7:21 PM.

Progressing slowly, and it's beginning to take shape. Ralph