Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Miniature Tools

Main frame fabricated -- "T" beams measured, cut and silver soldered for strength and rigidity: Ralph

Progress every day. Ralph

The miniature horse drawn road grader is finished.

The blade detail:

The Evener and Double Tree:

All the parts came together:

See the action video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/xiIoYGwTtaI?list=UU-...qMJcEsSWF5Eu5A

After some diversions, I'm back to building miniature tools and thought that some might find this interesting.
    This is a sterling silver plane with Ebony tote and knob, brass turn knob and a sharp steel blade.
    It was a challenging build in that polished silver reveals highlights as well as every little imperfection.
    The Ebony parts carved like brittle stone but polished up like glass. Ralph

Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 11-08-2014 at 2:52 PM.

Very nice Ralph. Was the body cast or made up from plate? Glad to see you are still at it.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Thanks, Jim. Perfect question -- I have used both procedures in the past.
    Some models were cast in the "lost wax process".

And some were assembled from pieces cut from flat stock as with this earlier model:

And poised together then silver soldered:

This latest model was cut from silver flat stock and silver soldered.
    I must declare that the casting process is much more complex requiring more operations but is often used when a piece is of complex shape
    or when flat stock is not available or just can't be formed properly.
    Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 11-09-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Ralph, I looked at your video on you tube. WOW you are certainly talented! Beautiful work, The sound that the miniature plane made on the edge of that plank was music!

Thanks, Doug. I've been at this a while, and I know what you mean about the music that a good plane makes.
    Appearance is important, but, ultimately, I judge my planes by the music they make. Ralph

I have posted some smatterings of miniature tools in my collection - some with limited exposure.
    This post features my miniature rendition of the Knowles Patent Block Plane of 1827, thought to be the earliest American patent for a metallic plane.
    Other plane makers manufactured this type of plane, either with or without license, and similar planes are known of various sizes and with minor design changes. Ralph

A stylized model was fabricated of flat stock silver with Ebony wood accents

This was a lost wax cast piece with Walnut accents and a sharp steel blade.

Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 11-16-2014 at 2:01 PM.

Ralph you haven't posted any new ones lately. What do you have going now?

Chuxk

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hart View Post
    Ralph you haven't posted any new ones lately. What do you have going now?

Chuxk

Hi, Chuck. I have had some recent posts including a new silver plane on Nov. 11.
    But this string has become quite complicated to follow. You might try to tap in at a lower spot. Ralph

When someone asked for details on how the solenoid powered lathe worked I realized that I had not documented the miniature lathe well. I went back and did a sketch and took some pictures that will detail the function of this machine.
    This project was challenging, interesting and unique in that it employs no electric motor with a rotating armature to turn the head stock. A linear stroke motion is created by the solenoid operating very like a steam engine, but by way of an electro magnetic field instead of steam employing electric switching in place of mechanical valves, and it drives a fulcrum mechanism which further drives a reciprocating motion from the moment arm by a thin steel wire that connects through the base to the treadle plate. The rocking treadle then converts the reciprocating action into circular motion through a connecting rod hooked to the crankshaft to turn the flywheel driving the head stock by a belt and stepped pulleys system allowing for rotational speed changes in the conventional way.

I know that that was a mouth full. It is a complex mechanism. Some pictures might make it more clear than words could. Ralph

See Action video:

http://youtu.be/58aRhhq2JzE?list=UU-...qMJcEsSWF5Eu5A
    Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 12-06-2014 at 11:29 AM.

My first post on this forum featured a pair of miniature hand planes which were fabricated from brass sheet stock with the parts silver soldered together:

Later I featured a pair of miniature #4 hand planes what were cast in one piece (one silver and one gold):

Most of my stuff employed one procedure or the other. Recently I created a pair of miniature hand planes employing a combination of both procedures.
    The sides were cast (lost wax) in high relief, and the sole and other parts were fabricated from flat stock. Then all the parts were silver soldered together to form the planes.

Wax patterns were created complimentary to each othe. Then a plaster mold was built, and the parts were cast in silver:

One has the tote and knob carved of Cocobolo, and the other was accented with African Black Wood.

Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 12-18-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Really amazing tools Ralph.
    I have watched quite a few of your videos on youtube showing your solenoid engines. Very enjoyable to watch.

Thanks, Jeff. I have also posted a series of "miniature tools by Art Rafael" on Youtube. Ralph