Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Miniature Tools

Dude,

You haven't even posted 10 times here yet...and you already have a "sticky". Way to make a splash!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Dude,

You haven't even posted 10 times here yet...and you already have a "sticky". Way to make a splash!

Indeed! +1
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Thanks guys. I'll keep going then. And what to follow a 212 but a 112. Ralph

Am so impressed, my hat is off to you..

I just got a mailer from Lee Valley showing some miniature tools. Any comments on those?

Thanks David. I appreciate your observations.

Ellen, I do believe that Lee Valley mass produces exceptionally beautiful tools and other stuff. I would love to have a set of their miniature planes and have thought about building some at 1/2 scale.

Ralph

They look really nice, well done... approximately how much time does it take you to make one from design to completion?

Thanks Andrew. The time involved to build my miniatures varies considerably depending on the complexity of the item, and the fact that I typically build every part from scratch. Some of the "simpler" planes can take 12 to 15 hours. And some of the more complex models can take 40 to 50 hours (over several weeks - I just don't rush it, and often there is the need to build some parts several times over to get it just right) + the time it takes to round up all the supplies, etc. Actually, it often takes me longer to ponder the possibilities and to decide what model I want to build and to sketch up the design to make the product pleasing. Sometimes, though, I just find an actual full scale model and reduce every part to 1/ 4 size ( the scale that I prefer to work in). But, more often, I decide to build a model for which I have no full scale version to copy and could never afford one, which is the primary reason that I want to build that model, so I build from pictures I have found. And sometimes I want to build an old standard common model with complex parts in 1/4 scale and even in precious metals. In short, the time is less difficult to come by than the ideas, materials and, more so, the dedication and patient persistence in building difficult parts in 1/4 scale. Ralph

Jack Rabbit plane

Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 11-26-2013 at 12:11 PM.

That is faster than I had thought, again very impressive.

Truly a craft within a craft within a craft; the inception of woodworking.

What beautiful little tools! Thanks so much for showing you work and some of the in work progress.
    The end result is beautiful, but I especially like seeing all of your sketches.

Rabbet plane progress. Ralph

Casting Process - New Sketches. Thanks Jeff.

You are so right, Andrew - crafts within crafts. Sometimes I fabricate pieces, and sometimes more complex pieces must be cast. I use the "Lost Wax process" as outlined below. Ralph

Fantastic work. I love miniature tools. Please keep posting.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

T bevel, square & gauge. Thanks Gary. Thought some might like this group done in brass and Rosewood. Ralph

Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 11-27-2013 at 9:17 PM.

Silver Pipe Wrench - pocket jewelry for the well dressed plumber. Ralph

The master pattern for the pipe wrench with major components arranged to produce a rubber mold from which wax patterns are derived for lost wax casting. Ralph

Pipe Wrench rubber mold and wax pattern.

Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 11-28-2013 at 10:26 AM.