Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Miniature Tools

I liked the silver and Ebony plane so much that I just had to build one in brass and Rosewood with silver pins. Ralph

Ralph those are my favorites. Thank you so much for post all of these little gems.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Thanks Jim. They are among my favorites too - must be, I built two, which I rarely do. I'll post others as they come about. Ralph

Monkey wrench - just for a change of pace. Ralph

CenterWheel Plow Plane miniature build thread. Ralph

Rosewood body?

Cocobolo body?

One of each. Which to use? The rosewood body is solid and rich in color but lacks grain structure. The Cocobolo has good grain structure but is more brittle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Juarros View Post
    CenterWheel Plow Plane miniature build thread. One of each. Which to use? The rosewood body is solid and rich in color but lacks grain structure. The Cocobolo has good grain structure but is more brittle.
    Hmmm, they're both toxic to me, that old poison ivy effect. Have you considered Live Oak? Even heard of it?

Whoa, Jack. I didn't know about the toxic effects. I have heard about and have seen Live Oak trees but don't think that I've seen Live Oak lumber. Since I've already carved two difficult to build bodies, I will go with the Cocobolo body and see how it turns out. If it is not pleasing, I'll consider carving a third. Ralph

Using the miniature saw to prepare the wood body..

Both sides of the wood body are clad with brass cut, drilled and tapped to accommodate other parts.

So, how do you sharpen the teeth of the minature saw? a 1" xxxx-slim taper file?

Hi Andrew. Actually, I use commercial crafts blades cut to size then affix brass backs and carved exotic wood handles. Ralph

See some in action here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84o1O...F5Eu5A&index=5

Coco is sure pretty. Actually it may not be toxic to me if it's just a matter of using rather than making dust, but I just don't want to play with it. Great little saws, too.

It's coming along. Ralph

Worked on the fence some. This was a trick to build with multiple tiny components and complicated precise operations. Ralph

This is crazy! I hope I can make full sized ones by the end of next year.

Thanks Maximillian. Here comes the really crazy part. Just stay after it, and you will get one done. Ralph

Now some odds and ends and trim, buff & polish.

I showed this to a few guys at work and they thought this was so cool. I have a few questions now that I've had some time to look over this if you don't mind me asking?

Do you make the hardware on your own or just get blanks and use dies?

What do you use for your brazing(silver soldering) as far as torch and solder go?

What kind of brass do you use?

Where do you get your material from?

I am going to try to make a plow plane after I refurbish the plane(s) I have bought for practice/learning. I just want to start collecting tools that I may need.