Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Miniature Tools

Well Maximillan, here this one is about finished.

To your questions:
    I hand cut and form every piece from scratch of exotic wood (Cocobolo used in this one), Brass flat and round stock from hardware or hobby stores, some tiny screws / nuts & bolts ordered from Micro-fasteners store. I have also found some metal and wood stock on the internet.

Silver soldering is not like soft lead soldering; it is more like brazing/welding. I usually use a butane micro torch, but for larger parts I sometimes need to use an oxy/act torch, and I use brazing flux sparingly. The tools I employ are basic and simple--jewelers saws and files, X-acto carving blades and a simple small bench drill press. For the threaded parts I use tap and die sets purchased at micro-tool sites. Mostly keep in mind that I am a scavenger first and am known to repurpose items I find.

Just jump in and try it. You will grow as you go along. Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 12-16-2013 at 6:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    How did I miss this thread the first time around?

Those are amazing, Ralph! I absolutely love minature stuff like this, but haven't had the patience since I was a kid making Tamiya models.

Do you ever sell them, and if so, what kind of prices are you commanding?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks Dan. I am more of a builder and collector of miniature things, though I have gifted some items to special people. I might consider a commissioned piece, but the time invested in each item would make it pricy. Ralph

Bullnose Plane. Ralph

This has been my favorite thread I check back every day to see if you posted something new, how many do you have?

Hi Maximallian. I'm glad that you have enjoyed this thread. In response to your question, I don't know any more - lost track some time ago. But I did recently round some up for a group picture. Ralph

To see an "action" video go to my YouTube page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y_0s...qMJcEsSWF5Eu5A

Wow..!
    What kind of jeweler saw and set up do you recommend?
    I am still in awe of your masterpieces.

Very nice family photo there Ralph. How long have you been doing these?

Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Thanks Jim. It's been a lifetime - on and off as I tended to family and career. Much more intensely since retirement and to fill the voids of empty nest syndrome.

Well David, I use the most basic and simple tools - $7 jewelers saw frame and extra blades of varying size and a simple $5 set of jewelers files. Both are available at most hobby stores, hardware and jeweler supply stores. I also use a small anvil and vise and a cutting block and cheap butane torch. Ralph

Thank you for the reply, with that void you not only have created masterpieces for yourself and for others to view.
    I have to look at this thread every time I come to this forum, I do not want to miss nothing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Juarros View Post
    A few tweaks of the surrounding background and this would make a very nice desktop background pic.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan, you may be right. Thanks. I hadn't thought about that, but did consider everything that would appear in the frame and strategically omitted some stuff and placed some items for effect - and maybe got it too cluttered - such is my brain - I think. Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 12-20-2013 at 4:15 PM.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is so awesome!!!!!!

What are the hammers mounted to? Can you actually use the hammers as well the handles must be tooth picks?

As far as the desk top pick 1+ but if you haven't already you need a mini plane till!

You are too cool!

Hi Maxmillian.

The hammers? Well. . . I also build hammers and other tools - not just planes. These hammers were cast together in a plaster mold. Often I cast multiple parts in one mold so that I can more efficiently do it in one pour. This pair were cast like that - head to head and came out like Siamese twins. It was such a nice looking sculpture that I didn't have the heart to separate them, so I finished and polished them and put handles on them. Now they are a trophy work of art symbolic of something. Ralph

This was actually cast upside down from its current position. The base is actually the sprure where the molten silver was poured in. Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 12-20-2013 at 7:57 PM.

That thud!... Was my jaw hitting the floor,

your work is awesome, thanks for sharing
    cheers,
    Chris, West Aussie.