Thread: New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction

Hi, I wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. My name is Bill and I just very recently joined the site. I have lurked and visited many different woodworking sites but what I have read and seen here I knew ths was the place I wanted to be. I have worked with wood off and on for years but always with power tools. After a short break from my first retirement and going back to work again I have been wanting to use and learn more about hand tools. Between what I have bought over the years and what my Father and Grandfather left me it's time to get to work wtih them. My favorite thing to build is Mid Century furniture so of course walnut and teak are my two most used woods. I hope not to many of you fell asleep with my long intro and I truly look forward to learning and hopefully helping when possible. Thanks, Bill

Welcome Bill!
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Welcome to The Creek Bill !

As a former general contractor, I started out primarily using power tools too. However, I've gradually "devolved" into utilizing more and more hand tools.

It is most certainly a journey of learning and behavior modification, but it is also a very enjoyable one. There is a great deal of knowledge and experience on this site to help you along the way.

Good luck and don't forget to post photos of what you create along the way.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    Howdy Bill,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't show your location. You may live close to another member who is willing to let you tryout different hand tools before you spend any money.

My power tool collection is mostly a lathe, bandsaw, drill press and a few hand held power tools.

All the rest is hand tools using hand power.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Welcome to the creek Bill. We can learn together, and you are correct, this is a great place to learn.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I am in MI and I saw that some of the members offer mentoring. I messaged Jim who is in the Detroit area a short distance away. The few times I have had success with my planes it was a very good feeling. I believe power tools will always have a place and job in my shop but to be honest there was something about that long thin shaving coming off the wood that gave me great satisfaction. I cant wait to continue my learning. Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm new here too, lot's of good stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Frarey View Post
    Thanks everyone for the welcome. I am in MI and I saw that some of the members offer mentoring. I messaged Jim who is in the Detroit area a short distance away. The few times I have had success with my planes it was a very good feeling. I believe power tools will always have a place and job in my shop but to be honest there was something about that long thin shaving coming off the wood that gave me great satisfaction. I cant wait to continue my learning. Bill
    Power tools have a place in my shop, too (and I don't mean in the corner collecting dust.) It really depends on how I feel like working on a given day. Overall, hand tools are my favorite way to work, but if I don't feel like dimensioning my stock by hand, I have a small table saw and a lunchbox planer. If I'm in a hurry to put out something my wife has asked for that has to be done now, then I go to the power tools.

The great thing about hand tools is that they can be used for a whole project or just parts of it, but having used them a lot now, I've started to see a benefit to them above a lot of power tool processes. I can't think of a situation at this point where I would turn to a power tool for joinery, or for final surfacing. When I worked in a production cabinet/furniture shop, I rarely used a chisel, and it was never sharp. Now, I can't imagine not having a sharp set of chisels, even if I was back in that shop. Likewise, I never used a block plane, but if I went back to work in that shop, I'd have a block plane with me at all times. Hand tools can do many jobs better and quicker than power tools, but not others.

For me, it's just about how I like to work. No dust masks, no hearing protection, rarely any eye protection, I can hear the radio, and I'm learning to actually work wood, rather than to work with wood. I don't know if that distinction makes sense to you or not.

Anyway, welcome to the creek. I look forward to having you around.

Hi Roy, you said it perfectly. If I need to get something done quickly for my better half then the power tools will get used. The quiet in the shop is truly a thing of beauty when using hand tools. I have a long road ahead of me wth learning but it's one I am ready to travel. Hopefully I can contrbute at some time as well. As I said before I looked long and hard for a forum to join and I think I have found the one for me. I hope everyone has a great weekend and I will talk to you soon. Bill

Welcome aboard Bill. I to am new here also, and just starting to gather my hand tools. I, like you, have tinkered over the years and mostly with power tools. This place is amazing with all the info and sorts. I look forward to learning with you.
    I know enough to know, I don't know anything.....

Welcome aboard! There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this site. I have learned to do a search for subjects addressed in the past on this site. Just put the topic in the search bar at the upper right. If that doesn't do it you can address it in the forum. Enjoy! Jim

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I am setting up a time to get some mentoring from Mike in Detroit and I am very excited to get the help. It's always nice to read as much as possible but to have someone take the time to work hands on with is great. I will post pics soon of my modest collection and progress. I hope that everyone has a great and safe Thanksgiving. Bill