Thread: Dressing up ordinary moulding

Unhappy Dressing up ordinary moulding

My house has the typical 3 3/4"-4" baseboard that the privious owner put oversized quarter round down after putting in laminate floors. The proportions are horrible so I want to dress up the moulding by adding additional detail above the existing baseboard-any ideas? I would hate to have to replace all of the baseboard because in one room they left too big of a gap between the wall and the laminate so I had to add some additionl length boards.

How about a picture? That may help the creative members with their suggestions.

I am guessing your problem is that he did not remove the baseboard when he installed the laminate floor so part of the baseboard is below the the top of the laminate floor making the baseboard appear to be to narrow and out of proportion to the base shoe mold. An additional molding above the baseboard will appear out of place compared to the other rooms.

In my house the baseboard in PART of the master bath has been ripped down to be narrower to keep the top of the baseboard to be the same as in the adjoining bedroom. The floor in the master bath is clay tile and is likely installed on top of cement board raising the level of the floor above the adjoining bedroom. I need to take the baseboard that has not been ripped down off and rip it down and reinstall it or replace the portion that was ripped down with new trim.

George

I would leave what you have ,but add to it. Go to a local place that makes custom mouldings. Most will have some designs kept in stock plus small samples of all. If you buy something in stock you will not have to pay set up fee,just per foot price. Pick an ogee large enough that a rabbet can be cut into it to lap over base covering any existing top bead or cove. You will have a nice custom look with the added cap thickness balancing the large shoe mould.