Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Led Signs

Custom Led Signs

Here is some recent LED edge lit signs I completed.

2013-03-07 22.24.10.jpg2013-04-21 22.25.45.jpgphone 8-3-13 276.jpg

Nice. Do you use a laser to make all of these? Is the multi-color one two 1/4" acrylic sheets put together. It also looks like you utilize a couple different base designs.
    CAMaster Cobra X3 408 w/Recoil
    BobCAD V25
    Corel Draw X5

Precision Sign and Post
    Windham, NH

I use the laser to cut the acrylic material and use the router to make the bases. I am still playing with my base design. On the two colored one I just put part of the logo and information on one piece and the balance on the other sheet.

Rich

I have yet to do any cutting of the acrylic with my CNC but do have the O-flute bits to try it. I've been ordering pieces to size and have been using a chop saw to cut the hidden edge. I found designing the bases to be quite arduous, but I sort of got in to it, and the acrylic engraving easy by comparison. I'm still playing with my base design and want to make an option to have the power cord run out the side or back and to be able to tighten down the acrylic. I put one of these signs on my window seal and didn't like having a cord running out the back but for a desk, you would probably want it out the back. I friction fit the acrlylic and if it is a little loose, I hot glue the ends from the bottom of the base. Having to route the top and bottom of the top half of the base definitely makes it more complicated but gives a lot of flexibility.
    BobCAD V25
    Corel Draw X5

Precision Sign and Post
    Windham, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Kruyer View Post
    I use the laser to cut the acrylic material and use the router to make the bases. I am still playing with my base design. On the two colored one I just put part of the logo and information on one piece and the balance on the other sheet.

Rich
    Would you care to please explain more about that? I have custom cut night lights and did a couple of signs with LED bases that I got from a source that is no longer available in different lengths and colors. Wanting to look into doing some of this, but looks like getting everything from sources that have "kits" with the LED strips and channel bases for the LED strips and power supplies would cost around $20 for a 12" long sign. That would be single colors with single sheet of acrylic.
    Curious about doubling acrylic and different color on each and cost to produce.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

Mike not sure what you are wanting to know?

Double sheets of acrylic side by side with different engraving is what you did in picture I think. Sheets glued together someway or just held together tightly bytight fit Ito base?
    Did you buy bulk led on a roll in each color and just put led strips under each piece of acrylic (like would do on a single piece)? Any issues with colors crossing over from one sheet to another?
    Wondering if you had to put some type of separator between the led strips for colors to not melt together in both acrylic parts.

Yes two strips of acrylic and two strips of LED's. Just press fit the acrylic into the base. I put a little piece of black tape between the two pieces of acrylic at the bottom to help the LED from transferring from the other sheet. I purchased the multicolored strip LED and just wired it so when green was on in one strip blue was on in the other, do when the controller cycled through the colors they were different.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Where do you recommend someone pick up led lights for making signs like these.

I pick them up off ebay.

How did you make your base and what power supply do you use?

For those of you who want a summary of where to order several of the components needed for LED edge lit signs, you can check this thread over at the Camaster site: http://camheads.org/showthread.php?t=3880 I found it pretty challenging to gather every thing and I found threads both on Vectric and camheads.org site extremely useful but still scattered. For single color LED strips, I get them here: http://www.hobbypartz.com/ledlights.html

I make my bases from HDPE or MDF. The single color ones are pretty easy for 3/8" acrylic. I cut a .25" strip in the bottom of the 3/8" pocket for the LED strip to lay in. I measure my acrylic and then create a shallower cut the width of the acrylic - this makes a tight friction fit. I drill a hole out the side to run the wire that connects to the transformer. I have to stick the transformer to LED strip adapter through the hole before I solder - this keeps the hole small.

For the RGB controllers, I have a much more complicated solution. I use a two piece base that hides all the electronics and provides exit points for the power cable and IR receiver. I inset two drywall screws through the bottom to hold the pieces together and make sure they are inset enough so you don't scratch furniture with them. Note my initial base was for a larger controller - I've since switched to the mini controller - shown in 2nd photo. I made a design for the power cord to either go out the back or out the side.

LED-base-internals.jpgSAM_2570.jpgSAM_2497.jpgSAM_2613.jpg

The top piece is pretty much identical for both of these except I didn't have to mill out anything for the mini-controller. This is effectively a box and the lip edges keep it from sliding. The hardest part about these is having to get a nice coat of paint on the MDF edges. I have used drywall spackle and sign foam primer with success. You just need to do some sanding to get those edges sealed, otherwise it will suck the paint right in. I've also made them from HDPE which is already colored. The base on the very right is HDPE. It is a bit tricky to cut and make sure the edges look ok. Note that I made a slot to keep the remote control in - just seems like a good way to not lose it. The 4th photo shows my single color sign with the simple base made from HDPE. Normally 3/4" HDPE is about $12 or more (forget exact price) per square foot but I came across some remnants.
    Last edited by Rich Fennessey; 02-16-2014 at 7:42 PM.
    BobCAD V25
    Corel Draw X5

Precision Sign and Post
    Windham, NH

Thanks for your input. Your base's look great.

Rich your bases look good.
    Trotec Speedy 360 80 watt laser
    Custom CNC router 4' x 5'
    GrapthTec FC7000-75 vinyl cutter
    Keiling KL6090S CNC router
    Ricoh SG3100DN sublimation printer

we do a version of these. Bases are machined plastic. We also do Plug in and battery operated versions with switches. Nice Job!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24" x 36" 100 watt laser w/ pass thru and custom 36" rotary • 60 x 120 CNC w/ 8 tool changer • 62" film laminator • 54" 6 color mild solvent printer / cutter

Newest addition to the family.... 60" x 120" flatbed UV printer. 4" max part height.

Synergy Sign & Graphics LLC
    147 Stoutt Drive NE
    Strasburg, OH 44680