Thread: Thoughts on a small display stand

Thoughts on a small display stand

My mother's partner bought an antique hand "dart gun" earlier this year which he believes is a samuria weapon. As a Christmas present I thought I would make him a stand for it so he can display his new treasure. The "Dart Gun" looks like a small cannon and is clearly Asian in origin as it is has Asian style dragons incorporated into the metal work. I want the stand to have a bit of an asian style to it but I do not have any experience with asain style furniture, so I was hoping you guys could help me out a bit. I have looked around online to get inspiration and originally designed a stand based on a Torii (the traditional Japanese gates) but realized this design is probably a bit ambitious to finish for christmas and might detract focus from the "Dart Gun". I have revised the design to be closer to a Katana stand. I have a few ideas for the center support but would appreciate any thoughts on the design in general. It would be nice to have the stand easy to break down incase he ever wants to put the whole thing away in storage. The final design is just something I was playing with but my wife doesn't love it.
    Picture1.jpgPicture2.jpgPicture3.jpgPicture4.jpg
    I would also like some thoughts on the type of wood to use. I was thinking a dark wood might be nice but the Dart gun is on the dark side (much like an old penny) so I am not sure how it would look. This will be an all hand tool project so workability is an important factor.
    Thank you in advance for you advise and ideas, I know they will be a great help

Ryan

I like the last drawing but would add 2 feet to the underside of the platform that are upside down scaled up versions of the "gun" supports.

Keep everything simple. Could be more elaborate with a sliding compartment for the darts but considering the time constraints, understated and clean lines is best. Perhaps all built with an oiled redwood or brown cedar, or finished with a black gloss finish - paint with a top coat of spray laquer, though the latter might be more in the Chinese style.

To be clear - I mean that the 2 legs should be wider but only slightly taller and be run length wise. Don't want the stand to look like a table.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 11-25-2013 at 7:46 AM. Reason: Clarity
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    I like the third version but, with a wider base, more like the last version. Padouk turns a dark red when simply shellac'd. This would enhance the 'exotic' appearance. For high contrast, maple would do the trick. You want the stand to be attractive without taking center stage.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like the third version, too. I guess you have thought about that he would be displaying it on a desk, say, rather than on a wall. Consider where it will be displayed when choosing the wood so it doesn't comflict with what's already there. Maybe your mother would have some ideas. If it's rather dark, like an old penny, I would go with a lighter wood, maybe soft maple, It's easy to work and sand. My 2¢ .. and worth every old, worn penny.

Thanks for the replies. I have a bit of maple that I was going to use to make a mock up of the stand. Maybe I will see how I like the contrast and just stick with it. I am planning a trip to the lumber yard Thursday so I may pick up some padouk too. I can always find another use for it if I go with the maple.

Ryan