Thread: Drawes for under bench

Drawes for under bench

Hi, I want to build two different boxes of drawers, one with two drawers and one with one drawer under my bench. Since I have not done this before I thought I would ask you guys. Do I build the box for the drawers first and then the drawers to fit or the other way around? I was thinking about making the box and the drawer boxes out of 1/2 ply and then use a hard wood for the face. I was also going to use the Kreg system of hole drilling and screws and glue all fitted parts as well. I was also going to go with metal slides. Here is a small drawing of what I had in mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i would build the boxes and then build the drawers to fit.

Absolutely box first. Then, you will know the final dimensions for the glides & drawers to fit into.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    I too always build drawers to fit the space.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ok, thanks guys.

On the bench I have, there are two supports that run between the legs. Attaching to them will give me plenty of clearance. Thank you though.
    Last edited by Craig Richmond; 11-26-2013 at 10:09 AM.

That wasn't the point. The point is that maybe you don't need to put the drawers in a box.

If the drawers were going to sit just under the apron then that might work for me but since they will be a few inched below it, I feel that will be cleaning debris out of them all the time. All though, I could make the face plate higher and that would make a big diff. on the amount of stuff that falls in.
    Last edited by Craig Richmond; 11-26-2013 at 10:11 AM.