Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size drill press?

What size drill press?

I don't ever think much about a drill press until I need to use it. Right now I have a little harbor freight bench top one that is maybe a 1/3 HP. I have found my self on a few occasions needing a taller one and one with more power. I have a couple large fornester bits, it that 3 inch range, and the drill press is pretty useless on those.

What HP drill press should be used for these large bits? Is a 3/4 HP enough or do I need to look Lin the 1hp range. I do work with some dense exotics.

i was looking at the grizzly drill presses, but also though about habor freight as well. I don't feel as though I need the best I the best for a drill press.

thanks,
    derek
    Not allowed

Hi, I've owned a 17" 1/2HP drill press for a couple of decades now.

It's a good size for woodworking, and has plenty of power for driving larger bits.

You don't need the best in a drill press however you need one that has little runout, a good chuck, well machined and balanced cast iron pulleys.

I'd suggest buying a used one of 20 to 50 years of age, or a new mid priced one..........Rod.

I have a 17" Steel City. I think it has a 3/4 hp motor. I find that the quill travel is more important than the size. My DP has 6" of travel. I have used the 6" of quill travel before but have never come across a time where I needed more distance between teh column and the drill bit.

"What HP drill press should be used for these large bits? Is a 3/4 HP enough or do I need to look Lin the 1hp range"
    3 phase x 3/4 HP is enough for 1" holes in steel.
    Rebuilt, >40 years old.
    Last edited by pat warner; 11-26-2013 at 6:52 PM.

What are the 'old' drill presses worthwhile looking at to refurbish?
    What is the one you have there Pat?

I had the HF DP you are referring to. I upgraded to a Delta 17" floor model. I think it has a 1/2HP, maybe 3/4HP, but certainly not 1 HP motor. You get more torque out of the larger DPs because you can run at a slower RPM. Everything is built heavier than what you have even on the newer models. Older is probably better, built heavier, probably more precision, and they are usually less expensive if you want to go that route. Look at quill travel (better than 3-1/2" preferred) and speed range. The depth stop is another thing to look for. The locking nut style is more intuitive, but the turret style also works well.

Many people buy a heavier bench model and put a cabinet under it for storage. You can do the same with a floor model but make your cabinet on casters so it can be moved out of the way if you have an interference.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Wormsbecker View Post
    What are the 'old' drill presses worthwhile looking at to refurbish?
    Delta, Powermatic, Walker Turner.
    I have a DP220 Delta 14" 1/3hp. Does fine with larger cutters. You have to slow them down with the pulleys, and that adds to the available torque.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Derek,

I have a generic Asian floor standing DP that's about 25 years old. It came with a 1/3hp motor which was fine until it came to turning larger Forstner bits and it would stall. I looked around and found a 3/4hp Baldor motor on CL and swapped it with the original. Now the DP will turn a 3-1/4" Forstner (that I use to recess clock movements) through white oak without a problem. I would think that 3/4-1HP would be the way to go, just in case.

Bill

One big enough to hold up cast iron extension tables while you install them on a planer or table saw

"One big enough to hold up cast iron extension tables while you install them on a planer or table saw "

I hadn't thought of that!

Bill

Rockwell, General (made in Canada), Buffalo, DoAll, Wilton, Clausing. Maybe Atlas.

3/4 HP should be plenty in most cases and like Cary, I would recommend quill travel distance is important too. I wouldn't get one with less than 4" of quill travel.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-27-2013 at 2:32 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

13. Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    3/4 HP should be plenty in most case and like Cary, I would recommend quill travel distance is important too. I wouldn't get one with less than 4" of quill travel.
    This ^^^ my Delta woodworking drill press has a 6" quill travel. Sometimes you need to drill a deep hole, other times you just need the reach to drill over something.

I noticed that General has a 17" press with a 6" travel decent price too. Looks like it might a bit over kill for me. But that hasn't stopped me before. Although it can only go down to 1/8" drill bits. I do sometimes use smaller bits.

I agree that travel is important, my current DP has just over 2", which can be limiting. Good to hear that 3/4 will more then likely get the job done.
    Last edited by Derek Voigt; 11-27-2013 at 2:07 PM.
    Not allowed

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Derek,

That General 17" is the same as the Steel City 17" DP. I have three DP, a Steel City 17" and a Walker Turner and Atlas bench models. I had the bench models when I found the Steel City aval used for a steal and I just have not found a new home for the others yet. The 6" travel and greater speed range were key features for me with the new DP.

No need to buy new if you can find a decent used machine. If you are only working wood, you don't need features like the production tables that a machinist would want, but if the machine has one, all the better.

If you find and older 3 Phase industrial unit they can be run with a VFD for less than $150 and provide very accurate speed control.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island