Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Help! My new block plane's blade doesn't make contact with wood

After coming out of my turkey coma I spent some more time with this Stanley plane. I still don't know if the mouthpiece is too long, but it's a moot point because the blade is extended way too far in front of the bed before it reaches the sole and starts shaving. So I'm assuming that the problem is either a) it came with the wrong blade, or b) the bed itself is too thick (both suggested by earlier posts).

Regardless, when I tested the blade fully extended (nearly 5/8" forward from the rear of the mouth), it was angled laterally relative to the sole. In other words, one side of the bed is higher/thicker than the other. It kind of looked skewed to me, and when I started shaving I confirmed that as the test board got more and more out of square. So yeah, the Stanley is safely back in the box and en route whence it came.

On the bright side, I just ordered a Veritas apron plane from LV's cyber Monday sale. I am VERY excited to use this thing for the trimwork I'm doing in my house right now. I also have some cabinets to scribe and doors to fit, so if I need something bigger in the future, I'll probably spring for the LV low-angle block plane. No more trying to be cheap

Thanks again for your suggestions, informed discussion, and even some curmudgeonly needling (kidding! I know my questions reveal my inexperience). If anyone has any other suggestions regarding tools, books, etc., feel free to send me a message if you don't want to keep this thread going. Ideally I'd like to find a more experienced mentor in my area; all the carpenters I know locally do framing and measure to the nearest 1/4", so we don't have a lot in common.

One last thing for the grammar Nazis: Remember, every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

My reference to the 5 pages of spelling on another forum had nothing to do with your spelling. It was an example of how many pages could be generated on a subject of no importance. Your spelling is fine.

Now,here is some curmudgeonly but CORRECT advice: Never buy a new Stanley plane. There are plenty of good OLD ones on ebay. Sometimes you might have to lap a sole flat(that shouldn't be a problem with a block plane). Otherwise,they are a lot better ythan the new stuff. Better yet,save up your money and get a Lee Valley or Lie Nielson block plane. They are as good as any ever built. LN's are copies of old Stanleys,but much better made. Thicker castings,better machining,better materials. LV's are new designs,very well made. Especially the NX60. But,it costs money!! I had their original block plane,with the 3 finger scallops,at work for a long time. It worked fine. I think you can get a PM VII blade for it. I love my VII blade in my NX 60.

You can often find old tools at yard sales,too.

I must say,though,I like my Chinese claw hammer from Lowe's better than my old Stanleys. It is harder,and perfectly well ground. Not so hard as to shed pieces,though!!