Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebuilding a Circa 1946 Delta 12 Inch Lathe

Ted, I’ve been using Richards “Signature” series, 100% acrylic int/ ext semi gloss enamel- the accent base tinted to my color choice. You have to be really careful and minimal when thinning, if you overdo it you effectively destroy the balance of carriers, pigments, and driers. I spray with an El cheapo H.F. HVLP air gun, run at about 45 P.S.I., works incredibly well for me and the gun is now several years old and has been torn completely down and cleaned up several times, a really good value for about $20.00. Like I mentioned earlier, using an inexpensive solvent based primer also helps a lot too.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by HANK METZ View Post
    Ted, I’ve been using Richards “Signature” series, 100% acrylic int/ ext semi gloss enamel- the accent base tinted to my color choice. You have to be really careful and minimal when thinning, if you overdo it you effectively destroy the balance of carriers, pigments, and driers. I spray with an El cheapo H.F. HVLP air gun, run at about 45 P.S.I., works incredibly well for me and the gun is now several years old and has been torn completely down and cleaned up several times, a really good value for about $20.00. Like I mentioned earlier, using an inexpensive solvent based primer also helps a lot too.
    Hank, thanks for that info, I will make a note of it. I cannot do any spraying now, it will be freezing for the next several months and I do not have a spray booth in my shop. I need to enter my location so you folks know where I am at!

How I envy you guys who can pretty much spray all year round. We will be moving to NC probably within the next year, so this problem will cure itself somewhat.

Definitely making headway on this project.

First, some pics, everyone likes pics, including me.

2013-12-01 15.23.25.jpg

2013-12-01 15.17.01.jpg

2013-12-01 15.17.23.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to work on the welded steel leg set and hopefully the other headstock. If things go right, I may get to working on the countershaft bearing mounts.

When this is all done, I will have two lathes, one with a set of cast iron legs, the other with the steel legs. I have decided to put the one with steel legs up for sale when it is finished. Right now, I need a set of bearings. Some of the things the steel one is missing:

Wrenches
    Motor
    Faceplate
    Live center
    Counter shaft (that is not exactly "missing" since many of these shipped with no countershaft)

What I might be really interested in doing is trading with someone who has an outboard tool rest, and/or the cross slide attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good to see a nice old machine being restored... As for bearings, try McMaster Carr, or Motion Industries.

BTW, there is a cross slide on Ebay right now...

Try "Kroil" on that stubborn set screw. It stinks to high heaven (to me), but it usually gets stuff loose.

Thanks Don,

It seems that all the guys doing restoration work over on OWWM.org order their bearings from a place in Addison, IL, Accurite?

I saw that cross slide on Ebay! I am keeping an eye on it. . . .looks like it needs some serious clean up after living in a barn.

i am enjoying this thread, while i have nothing to add

I had one of those lovely old machines for many years. For some reason I traded it off. Had no where to use it for some time. I wish I still had it. Now I have a 1960's Oliver with the mechanically variable speed headstock. Minimum speed is 500 RPM,too fast for large diameter jobs.

Hello George,

I am going to investigate getting mine below the 340 RPM using the counter shaft. Have to do some figuring with what step pulleys are available.

Won't be doing any really large stuff for a while since I am just past the beginners stage, or maybe not! I need to get a feel for this lathe and what it can actually handle when turning outboard. Heck, I need to get a feel for what I can handle!

I did get one of the lathes partially assembled. Here are a couple of pics:

2013-12-02 15.36.49.jpg2013-12-02 15.36.26.jpg

I hung the motor but am not real happy with using modern nuts and bolts, too shiny! The motor is an old Master out of Dayton, OH. Weighs a freekin ton!

When I first started putting the boards on, I could not get the set of holes on one end to line up. What I finally did was loosen everything up, then I could get all the bolts to go in the holes. Of course, I forgot to put the lathe bed bolts in, so I got to do it all over again. That is how one becomes an expert at assembling things!

Edit: The headstock is not bolted down yet, still trying to decide whether to use this one, or the other one. I will know after I disassemble the second one.

Also got a pair of bearings on order with Accurate. The lady there is a real gem! I had my info all ready, told her what I was doing, and she just hit all the nails right on the head. What a pleasure to deal with someone like that! I think she liked being told that she is famous on the internet.
    Last edited by Ted Reischl; 12-02-2013 at 3:52 PM.

On owwm there is a sticky in the woodworking machinery forum for ordering bearings from Accurate Bearing.
    Thanks for the write up and pictures.

Spent most of the morning tracking down some parts.

3/4 dia shaft for the countershaft.
    Stop collars.
    Belts.
    Ordered the 4 step pulleys from McMaster Carr, dug all over the place but no go.

Here is what it looks like now:

2013-12-03 13.29.13.jpg

Once I have the pulleys, I will cut the shaft to a suitable length and start lining things up.

The bearing assemblies for the countershaft are really interesting.