Thread: Is the Rikon 14" 10-321 a good bandsaw?

Is the Rikon 14" 10-321 a good bandsaw?

Woodcraft has it on sale right now through 12/24 for $419.00.
    Does anyone know if this is a good machine?
    Everything I can find on it says it replaces their "old model".

I know that model was pretty well thought of & when I see a "new and improved" something, that replaces something people liked, that always spells trouble - as in they cheapen the product.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have a 10-325, not a 10-320. The 10-321 says 8" resaw capacity, the 10-320 is 6". 10-320 has a solid cabinet base, the 10-321 is an open stand. I made my own enclosed base for my 10-325 so I could make it the height I wanted; the factory base made the table higher than I liked. Other than that, it doesn't look a lot different than the 10-320. One issue I could see with both the 10-320 & 321 is no 'micro-adjust' on the blade guides. I guess you have to hold the guide bearings in position with one hand and tighten the hex screw with the other. It seems like this could be a bit of a trick with the lower guides.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 11-29-2013 at 8:48 AM.

Rich, what are you using now?

Prashun - nothing
    Well - mostly nothing. If I need to cut a curve, I've been using my GMC jigsaw. It's no Bosch, but, it's not a bad little saw.
    A bandsaw is one of the final pieces I need.
    I've been putting off getting one since I didn't have a real demand for one.
    I've been looking on CL for the last couple of years for a decent 14", but, all that's been there has been either real over priced or a Craftsman 9" or 12".

@ Curt - yes - you have the older and now discontinued model that get's high marks from people.
    That's what my concern is. Is the new one as good as the old one, or, did they scrap the good one so they could hit a price point with a piece of junk?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Rich Engelhardt;
    @ Curt - yes - you have the older and now discontinued model that get's high marks from people.
    That's what my concern is. Is the new one as good as the old one, or, did they scrap the good one so they could hit a price point with a piece of junk?[/QUOTE]

Rich, I also have the 10-325. I don't think it is discontinued (at least according to my simple google search). The price has gone up quite a bit though. I got mine new for under $ 600 in 2009. The cheapest I've found this morning was $ 950. From what I have seen with the lower end models, I'd save and get a larger one with better guides, bigger motor, etc. but my logic is applicable to my use (resaw and longer curves in thicker stock). Good luck!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Described by Rikon as "a great next step" for customers moving up from the bench top market so, that is the target audience according to the maker. It is a lower power, less frills saw and I imagine other things were done to hit the price point. You may do better by not comparing it to a still currently marketed better model of the same maker (it will surely lose) and instead compare it to what you are looking for, budget, footprint, whatever. Trying to make a model a ways down the line compare to another is a good way to see what is lacking but, be realistic that something will be lacking. Otherwise there would be no point to the product.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Meh - too much Thanksgiving cheer .

I reread the article I got my information from.

It's the 10-320 that looks like is going to be phased out.
    http://www.woodshopnews.com/tools-ma...o-new-band-saw

"Rikon released its new 14” band saw, model 10-321, featuring an 8” resaw capacity and two-speed 1-hp motor.
    “This is going to replace our 10-320, which was our most popular band saw 10 years ago. This new model features a bigger resaw height, open stand, larger table and micro-adjustable guidepost height, which the original did not have,” Rikon vice president of customer service and technical support Rod Burrow says."

So it looks like the new one is an addition, but, it's slated to replace the 10-320.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Rich, I also have the 10-325. I don't think it is discontinued (at least according to my simple google search). The price has gone up quite a bit though. I got mine new for under $ 600 in 2009. The cheapest I've found this morning was $ 950. From what I have seen with the lower end models, I'd save and get a larger one with better guides, bigger motor, etc. but my logic is applicable to my use (resaw and longer curves in thicker stock). Good luck!
    I'm pretty sure Woodcraft is going to have the 10-325 on sale for $799 if it isn't already. The only concern I'd have with the 10-321 also applies to the 10-320, setting the lower blade guides. The 10-325 has knobs to move and hold the blade guides, it doesn't appear the 10-320/321 do.

Would it be better to get the 10-321 and upgrading the fence and guides instead of buying the 10-325? Seems most people buy the 10-325 and then upgrade the guides and fence anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells Griffith View Post
    Would it be better to get the 10-321 and upgrading the fence and guides instead of buying the 10-325? Seems most people buy the 10-325 and then upgrade the guides and fence anyways.
    You can't upgrade the resaw capacity from 8" to 13". Also the motor is 1 h.p. vs. 1.5 h.p. I find the 10-325 fence usable with some easy and inexpensive modifications. I use the existing bearing guide hardware but removed the bearings and substituted oil saturated wooden blocks. I prefer the wooden blocks, especially for narrower blades. A difference between the 10-321 and the 10-325 bearing guides is that the 10-325 has microadjust knobs, it appears from the manual that the 10-320/321 you hold the guide bearings in position and tighten. It seems this could be inconvenient with the below the table guides.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 12-06-2013 at 9:08 AM.

I just picked up one of the 10-321's and have to say for $420 bucks not a bad deal for me. As stated above, I am part of the target market whom was wanting to replace an older bench top model which will go nameless but was primarily constructed of plastic. I am a hobbyist and feel for the price the quality has improved and I will never need a another band saw.
    Wonder rather than doubt is the root of all knowledge.

You might want to check out the Craftsman BAS350. It is the identical Bandsaw to the Rikon 321 except for the paint job. I own it and highly recommend it for its price/performance quotient.

I am setting up a Sears 124.32607 which appears to be the same as the Rikon 321, only the pictures are different in the manuals. I'm having trouble with the lower blade guide rotating when I tighten the lock nut. Have others had similar problems and with what fix? I'm seeing references to replacement guides-what works and where do you get them? Thanks.