Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NDA for a $45 job.

Just for laughs , here is the NDA they sent me...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Rodney,

That is impressive for a $45 acrylic award. I would guess that reading it alone took more than $45 worth of your time.

Like I said, I can understand/appreciate a company asking you to sign a short agreement that limits your use of their logo strictly to the creation of the award. As if copywrite laws in most countries weren't enough to give them the leverage they needed if you decided their logo was just the coolest thing and you needed to have it emblazoned on the side of your house or something. But that? Snort! As I said earlier. Some legal eagles are laughing their billable hours off over the creation of documents like that!

Yeeeks!

Cheers! Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I screwed up once by agreeing to sign an NDA with a potential client so that they would even share with me what they wanted me to bid on. I paid my lawyer to review the docs, signed them, and then it wasn't 10 minutes after they started explaining their idea to me (and they weren't done...), I said "Heck no." The project idea was a loser from the get go.

So, in one sense Rodney, you are ahead of the game! (at least ahead of me)

*heavy sigh*, typical calledge edjukated bean counter nonsense. They have no concept of the real world, only what they were taught in business class. That whole nine pages is nothing more than an extremely long and totally unnecessary version of "The information within contains confidential and/or privileged information..."
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Someone in the company is getting paid BIG BUCKS to Admin that NDA Program and must justify His/Her Job... LOL...
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

A perfect example of a fits all document that doesn't

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

It is kind of silly to send you the artwork first then ask to sign the NDA they should have done it before sending you the logo. Now that you have the logo and have not signed the NDA you are free to disclose it to anyone you please without any legal binding...

I always refuse to sign NDAs and usually still get the work. If not, the customer is most likely one I don't want to deal with anyways.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    I always refuse to sign NDAs and usually still get the work. If not, the customer is most likely one I don't want to deal with anyways.
    I don't mind NDA's at all, I'm bound by NDA's for my 5 biggest customers and it never really causes a problem. Comes with the job in some cases so I tend to look at it as a requirement, for a $50 job it's plain daft but for a $500,000 it's expected.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

I don't sign anything to get any job..AND I get more crotchity as I get older.. You want me to use your logo, you better prove to me it's yours and I have permission to use it on 'your' job.. Anything more complicated than that, I don't want, or need your business. Sheesh.. I am getting more crotchity as I get older..ha.. The more worries I take on, the more worries I have, and I have NO intention of being the richest guy in the graveyard, so don't make my life complicated!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Well,they came back to me after a flurry of mails internally between legal and their other departments etc - and the upshot was an order for 4 more of these and NOTHING to be signed.
    Their top legal eagle said that there was no info that we were getting that CAN be disclosed and their logo is IP , and does not need a NDA. Exactly my point....
    Talk about a waste of time and money on their part....
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

But, it did provoke some good discussion and thought, Dave, that $500,000 job, I will sign the NDA and do it for $499,999.99 !!!! Amos
    Good better best, never let it rest, til your good is better and your better best.
    Omni Pro 3000 with 80watt Laser tube
    Gravograph M 20+

I worked for Waste Management for several years and large companies sometimes make doing business with them hard. Most everything we bought or paid for was done by "p card" (procurement card) which for vendors was like a credit card. We got rebates back on it as I understood the money was put into account up front rather than paid like credit. Anyway, some small local vendors we relied on didn't deal with credit card. We could pay them with p-card instantly or do AP check which often took 30 -45 days. Small vendors looked at it as loaning Waste Management their money for weeks because they had to wait weeks to get paid.
    I can't tell you how many times I got phone calls about wanting payment but I couldn't do anything about it. They knew going into it but still liked to fuss about it.
    It always seemed to me small businesses like small businesses because they understand each other's needs and large businesses like large businesses and just don't always relate to small business. Then being bigger they often dictate terms to small vendors if they want to do business with them.
    Last edited by Mike Lassiter; 12-06-2013 at 9:24 AM. Reason: stupid spell checker

Blog Entries
    45 days is actually pretty good, Mike... some of the bigger engineering firms have no problem with 90-day (I've seen 120-day) terms, and if you don't like it, they'll find some other company willing to work for them.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Anything for the military / defence industry is 90 here Dan, it's great money and no chance of non payment but setting anything under 90 is pointless as it never gets paid early I pay pro-forma on all supplies but 90% of my clients are on at least 30 days. 120 isn't common over here but like there it does happen. Most business to business are 30 days here.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !