Thread: Starting a Roubo

Starting a Roubo

Hi everyone, been lurking for a little while here, first time poster.

Getting ready to start my workbench, which will also be my first woodworking project.

Not aiming for anything too fancy - Dimensions will be 34" tall, 28" wide, and 8' long. I'll put in a couple rows of dog holes, leg vise, sliding deadman, and eventually an end vise most likely a twin screw. I splurged on a really nice cabinet saw so I may be waiting till Christmas or later on the vise hardware. I'll be jointing by hand with my only other woodworking tool, a Veritas low angle jack. I'll probably get a couple of decent chisels next. This slope is indeed slippery...

So I went to the borg today and picked up 2 Ford Taurus loads worth of SYP, got out of there for just over $200. I tried to get the best pieces I could but as you can see from the pic some have some knots with ugly voids in them. Should I try to fill them with epoxy before (or after?) I rip the boards or just ignore them? Anyway...wish me luck and any tips you guys have are much appreciated. I'll upload more pics as I progress.

bench lumber.jpg

Welcome Eric! I would try and plan the pieces to avoid the knots/voids whenever possible, whatever you can't avoid can be filled after if it is in a bad spot. Most places it won't matter.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

I suspect as long as a knot is hidden, centered inside a glue up, it may not be a big deal. But personally, I would return them if you cannot clearly find a way to use the board that eliminates the knot. My Roubo is also SYP and I got my stock from two different stores over three trips. I had to dig quite a bit through the stacks of 2x12x10s but the digging is worth it, in my opinion. I had a couple of knots I tried to mill around and wound up just scrapping the boards. The whole build is an art of patience so I'd encourage you to take the time to get the best boards you possibly can and let them dry as long as you can under as much weight as you can put on them.

All the best on your build and keep us up to date with pictures.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

Eric, welcome to SawMill Creek. I would return the knotty boards and shop around some more. Around here it is next to impossible to find clear SYP at the Borgs. If I want clear I have to go to the lumber yard.

Such is life in the southwest.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for the advice, I'll take another trip to hardware store and find a couple more good pieces. I cross cut a few boards to size already so I may try to bury some of the knots or scrap a couple pieces once I rip em. Patience - lesson learned on this one!

So after many life things going on, I'm finally able to put time in the garage--err I mean shop--again. Got the workbench done, made many mistakes and it has some flaws in it but overall I'm satisfied and it's my first piece of woodworking. I had a really hard time flattening the top with my plane so I may end up just trying the router jig method.

Attachment 364377
    Attached Images Attached Images

Eric,
    Great! Enjoy it. I'm sure it will serve you well.
    Roger

Nice looking bench, Enjoy

Well done, it's a beauty!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's a darn nice bench!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice I hope mine comes out as good!

That's a dandy! I hope you have a fork lift if you ever need to move it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Show off

Your bench looks great. You are going to really enjoy using this. I take it you are planning round dog holes. I'll suggest a hold fast from Tools for Working Wood and a wonder dog or wonder pup from Lee Valley as your first set of bench accessories. Congratulations on a great bench. Looks nice and stout. Good job!

Nicely done. Keep playing with that jointer plane. It'll get easier. And faster. And flatter. Good looking bench!