Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emmert K-1 Vise, $50 Gloat

Great find! And WHAT a price! I gave $150 for mine and it had been brazed once and needed an additional part brazed, plus needed completely restored. But what a vice! I use it all the time and find it to be one of the best things in the shop as far as usefulness is concerned. I lined my jaws with some 1/4" leather and that really helped with grip so I don't have to tighten the jaws so tight and stress things.

Emmert 18web.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ken lewellyn View Post
    Great find! And WHAT a price! I gave $150 for mine and it had been brazed once and needed an additional part brazed, plus needed completely restored. But what a vice! I use it all the time and find it to be one of the best things in the shop as far as usefulness is concerned. I lined my jaws with some 1/4" leather and that really helped with grip so I don't have to tighten the jaws so tight and stress things.

Emmert 18web.jpg
    Is the leather glued to wood?

I've seen them with leather but because of size of the jaws and the adjustment to align , or shift OUT of parallel , I don't think they are really necessary . Rich one thing that is usually missing is the swivel plate that allows vise to grip something tapered in two directions . If you don't have it and decide you need it ,somebody is making and selling new ones.