Thread: Need input on sliding miter saw choices

Need input on sliding miter saw choices

I'm looking to purchase a 10 or 12 inch compound sliding miter saw at the moment I've got it down to either the 10 inch Rigid or the 12 inch Hitachi. They are both the same price $399, the Hitachi is more versatile in terms of space saving and fine angle adjustment but the Rigid has greater cutting capacity. The way my local Homedepot displays the saws I can't really play around with it much to get a feel for how the angle settings that don't have detents lock in. At Lowe's I was able to play around with the Hitachi and it can be locked in at any angle. I do have space issues in my garage and the Hatachi can sit closer to the wall if it is used stationary. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would go with the Hitachi! I have several Hitachi tools and they are great top of the line for quality.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

I would go with the hitachi. I have rigid miter saw and not really like the back rail set up.

I'd go with a 12" Bosch "Axial Glide" dual bevel slide miter saw (GCM12SD). 14" of cut capacity horitzontally on the bed with the saw flat against a wall, you don't need any additional space for the sliding mechanism. Pretty cool indeed! I wish they would have had this saw when I bought my Bosch 5312, I love it but the ability to have it flush against a wall would be the icing on the cake!

I assume your talking about one of the Hitachi's with the "stacked" slides. I owned the C12lsh for a few years and can't recommend the saw. It's very easy to knock out of square and there aren't proper adjustments to fix it. I once called hitachi tech to get advice and the fix required using a pry bar between the slides. It was a very frustrating saw. We do have 2 of the older Japanese made hitachi sliders at work and except for a Kapex it's the best slider made in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    I had a Bosch Glide for a while but it went back. I posted a detailed review on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/review/RTOFFHJ...28013&store=hi

In a nutshell, the saw is around 70lbs and the vast majority of that weight is in the motor and glide assembly. The saw was shipped in a box with no special supports for the motor. When it was dropped or plopped or otherwise jostled during shipping, that lightweight base took a lot of stress and bent. In my view, the support should be around the motor and the base should float.

Otherwise, I liked the Bosch. My only other negative comment was that I thought the safety on the trigger was difficult to operate. I can easily imagine that it would be a big problem for someone with arthritis.

Of course, if you can find the saw locally, take a good straightedge and find a great saw. My experience was a couple of years ago when the saw was brand new.

I would love to hear feedback from others here. Has Bosch fixed the packing problem?
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 12-01-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post

I would love to hear feedback from others here. Has Bosch fixed the packing problem?
    It would appear so. The one I bought last year was shipped from Coastal Tools and arrived undamaged even though the box was a little banged up. It was loaded with heavy cardboard webs and foam blocks to support everything. I didn't experience the bent base problem you had.

I prefer the Hitachi over the Rigid when discussing compound sliding miter saws.

9. Hi Steve,

If you've decided that either the Hitachi or the Ridgid are your favourites I'd suggest the Ridgid.

I would however strongly suggest you check out Makita and Bosch offerings which might be more money but are, in my opinion, much better saws. Lots of people I know have the Dewalt saws and like them, I don't have too much personal experience with them though.