Thread: A couple ornaments

A couple ornaments

Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted anything. Mainly because I have terrible photography skills and no good photo tent set up so I just don't take pictures of my turnings. But had to send a couple photos to family members to get some ideas, so I figured I'd use them here too.

3 ornaments finished today: plywood/maple, curly maple/african blackwood, and osage orange/african blackwood.

Let me know what you think, I welcome all C&C!!

Thanks for looking. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!!

Dan
    DSC05740.jpgDSC05761.jpgDSC05749.jpg

I like those! Nice work, Dan!

I really like the extra matching "bead" if you will, on the the osage orange one!

Very nice. I really like the last one.
    Greg Ketell
    "Permanent Turning Newbie" aka "Always trying something new"

See my photo gallery here
    (in need of updating)

All are well done with nice detail and finish. The 3rd one is especially attractive.

They all look great. I am kind of drawn to the first one because it is different with the layered plywood.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Dang !!!! whats not to like????

Blog Entries
    Oh wow- not only do I LOVE these, I also appreciate the idea. We already use icecicles made of wood shavings on the tree. Turning ornaments is a great idea. I only just got access to a lathe so all this turning stuff is new to me. This would be a great starter project.

Wow! Very nice! I'm partial to the osage ornament myself (the thinner finials really work for me), but that curly maple bead is just gorgeous with the red accents.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Wow, those are beautiful!

well done, the family will be fighting over who gets first choice but then which to choose.....i like them all.....intrigred by the plywood.....can you give us a heads up????????

#3 is elegant
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

#3 is a number one. All would be nice to have. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. Ornaments have been fun so far this year! The finials have certainly been good exercise for my patience (or lack thereof). #3 is one of the few so far that actually ended up looking as I envisioned it, without "design opportunities". I think it's my favorite style, at least as proportions go.

Thanks again for looking.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    well done, the family will be fighting over who gets first choice but then which to choose.....i like them all.....intrigred by the plywood.....can you give us a heads up????????
    Hi Charlie - I can't take any credit for the plywood. I bought a chunk of it from a Woodcraft store in a clearance bin. There was only enough good section to make 1 or 2 bulbs, but I believe they typically carry a few different blank sizes and color combinations online if not in a local store. It is the only bulb I finished CA glue (a dozen or so coats) to get the gloss, it didn't seem like the lacquer was going to give an even enough finish.

Thanks!
    Dan

Very nice work all around. I like the finial details.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Some of the nicest ornaments I've seen, especially number 3. Way to go.