Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Building a bench (the kind you sit on)

Blog Entries
    I know the feeling, our dining table is too nice to replace even though I would prefer to build one.

I have a similar sentiment on nakashima pieces, though his approach is inspirational. That being said some of his designs including the one I posted are some of my favorites.

A couple people asked me to post some pics one I got the cushion for this. Well, my MIL made a lovely cushion, and it got delivered yesterday so here it is. I was originally asked to pick the fabric/color, but once I started making suggestions my wife and MIL quickly changed there minds about that and decided to pick it themselves (which I was grateful for). They picked out a nice sift fabric in a sorta plumish purply color, and I think they made a great choice.

Just being self critical/reflective...I do feel like the cushion sorta disrupts the lines and proportions of the piece a little, but oh well, that's how you learn. Again, that's just me being self critical design wise...I am very happy with both my work, my MILs lovely work, and with the piece as a whole. It's been really nice to have the extra seat and storage in this area...this bench really ties the room, does it not?

The kitties like it much better with a cushion.

Here are the pics.

IMG_20140305_173917_214.jpg IMG_20140306_074923_377.jpg IMG_20140306_074935_772.jpg IMG95201403059518181695261.jpg
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    The kitties like it much better with a cushion
    IMG95201403059518181695261.jpg
    That cat is just daring you to turn your back so he / she can use one of those nice legs as a scratching post. I can see it in its eyes. Wait, you actually have at least two cats from what I can see judging by the food bowls. Each cat can have its own scratching post. LOL

Very nice project by the way! Nice work.

Beautiful!!!

Andy

Thanks guys!

Pat....4 Cats, so yes one leg for each! You should see our less than 6 month old sofas!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Looks good! If you have some room pull it away from the wall.

Frank LLoyd Wright would specify furniture to be no closer than 18" to the wall, but his houses could accommodate it. In my own circumstance I try to keep furniture no closer than 6" from a wall in tighter rooms, but as much as 18" if I can afford the space.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 03-06-2014 at 1:41 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Looks good! If you have some room pull it away from the wall.

Frank LLoyd Wright would specify furniture to be no closer than 18" to the wall, but his houses could accommodate it. In my own circumstance I try to keep furniture no closer than 6" from a wall in tighter rooms, but as much as 18" if I can afford the space.
    Thanks. Interesting about the wall distance. I'll try that.