Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a bench (the kind you sit on)

I like the curve better. Is the leg also curved where it meets the apron (both sides)? Not sure about the quirks. Are you quirking the legs or just apron? Is this to lighten up the apron?

Thanks Judson. There is a very slight curve on the lower part of the inside of the leg that transitions to a straight where is meets the apron. This thins out/lightens up the lower part of the leg, and makes the over shape a little more pronounced.

I haven't decided what to quirk or bead for sure, just playing with idea's in Sketchup to get a feel, but yes I thought one thing it might do is lighten the look of the apron. I actually would prefer the look of a narrower apron, but functionally the depth needs to be there. I thought maybe a quirk on the outside of the legs to extenuate the outer curve might be nice and then a quirk on the bottom of the apron (the current drawing has it going all the way around) might lighten it up a bit and also extenuate its subtle curve.

Thanks for chiming in. I enjoy going through design stuff and others input is always really helpful.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Why pitch straight down the middle when you can throw in a curve or two?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Chris,

I saw a very short skirt on a wegner table supported by a framework inside the table underneath the top. I applied the same technique to a minimalist table that I built for myself and the thing is incredible sturdy even with a floating top and a 4" tall skirt. So, if you want to shorten the skirt it can be done by adding a framework inside without a sacrifice to strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Chris,

I saw a very short skirt on a wegner table supported by a framework inside the table underneath the top. I applied the same technique to a minimalist table that I built for myself and the thing is incredible sturdy even with a floating top and a 4" tall skirt. So, if you want to shorten the skirt it can be done by adding a framework inside without a sacrifice to strength.
    Brian, I'd love to see a picture of that...

Unfortunately though, that won't necessarily help this issue...the depth is for storage not for strength. Although, it doesn't necessarily need 8+" of depth for storage so I may go back to a shorter skirt if I decide that's all we would require for it. I guess I need to decide what we might want to use it for. I guess it will most likely be board games or table clothes or cloth napkins or something so maybe 4-6" of storage depth would be more than enough....in which case a picture of your table and its frame work (or a link to the wegner example) would be very helpful (if its not too much trouble )
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Ahh, I missed that in the first posts.

Here's the desk, I'll post up some pics of the framework later on. You can see the austerity I prefer in my design work also.

Thanks for posting that Brian. That's lovely! I like the wood selection. The design itself is very straight and austere but that little swirl of grain adds just the right amount of flair and interest. Its a very nice piece, indeed! Very tasteful. I look forward to seeing the "bones"

Looks like it'll be a nice bench, Chris.
    If you have need of a 113 for the curves you're welcome to borrow mine.
    PI

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Incognito View Post
    Looks like it'll be a nice bench, Chris.
    If you have need of a 113 for the curves you're welcome to borrow mine.
    PI
    Thanks buddy! Yet another reason why I make time to come hang out with you in your ship again.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Chris, I built the bookshelves as well and they are wall hung. The desktop is leather.

Here is the seedy underbelly of my library desk:

Cool! Thanks Brian. That is quite the frame underneath. Clearly very sturdy. Appreciate the lesson.

Also, I really just enjoy seeing what other folks here have made and are making. I wish more people would post their work.

Blog Entries
    Anytime! I always like to see how are people are building things as well, so I look forward to seeing your progress.

Well,I got the last pair of leg blanks in clamps tonight so by tomorrow I'll have 4 legs. Then its time to start prepping the apron stock and get to the mortising. I'll do the template for the leg curves after I decide how deep to make the apron. The curves will be designed to accommodate the joinery (because that just so much easier that curved tenon shoulders). Maybe I'll actually manage to finish this project a reasonable amount of time.

I prefer the curved legs. Does the apron proportion feel right to you? My eye wants is a tad thinner. I cant quite tell, but is the curve irregular and thicker at the top than the bottom? If yr apron is this deep i would be curious to see how it looks with the flair thicker at the bottom. A top flair better presents the arms, but a bottom flair might look better with a massier apron...?
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 12-07-2013 at 7:54 AM.

Thanks for the input Prashun. Yes, I agree, the apron looks to big. Finding the right balance between having enough depth to give me a decent amount of under seat storage, but not so much that the apron look really out of proportion is proving difficult.

Your talking about the flair of the legs??? Yes, they are thicker at the top. The inside of the legs has a curve that extends transitions into a flat at the apron than stays straight all the way to the top. The main curve on the outside of the legs is asymmetrical with the apex being at the same location (8 inches up) as where the curve on the back become a flat. This creates an effect of having the legs be consistent thickness below the apron but then slowly flair out moving up towards the arm rests. You're saying that you think a flair at the bottom (e.g. wider feet as opposed to tapering thinner) might balance a beefy apron more?