Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Typing is odd...

Typing is odd...

Recently, mostly in PMs, I'm having some difficulties. First of all, after just about every letter, each word is being underlined (as if misspelled). Also, characters aren't being "accepted". By that, I mean that "Hi, I just wanted to say hi." will come out more like "I, I ust wantdto say hi ...with spaces and characters missing because they weren't recognized as I typed them.

FYI, it doesn't happen anywhere else but on SMC. And it didn't happen in this post until I started this paragraph. Oh, let me retype the last sentence and you can see exactly what happens! And it didn't appen I theis post until I tstartethis paragrap.

What's up?
    I drink, therefore I am.

It wouldn’t have anything to do with your signature line, would it?

Seriously, I'm not having any problems like that on this end.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    When using the iPad, I have an issue where I type one letter and the keyboard drops away unless I go to the advanced posting tool, where it works just fine.

Blog Entries
    Dying batteries in the wireless keyboard...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Seriously, Dan? I said it only happens on SMC, and mostly in PMs. Nowhere else. Not on other forums, not in Emails, and not in Word. Read before you respond, dude.
    I drink, therefore I am.

What OS and browser are you using? Might be an interaction problem with the browser and vBulletin; just a guess here.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I've got the latest version of Windows and IE. That said, it doesn't happen all the time. For example, it isn't happening now. Sometimes, it starts after I hit a hard return.

Often, as I am typing (yup, just started after the last hard return), even after two letters that follow properly (like p and l in "pl" for the start of the word "plural" for example) the letters are underlined in red...as if misspelled. I have a feeling this is a spell check issue...or related.

This next paragraph will be a retype of the firs one:

I've goth the latest versin of Window and I.That said, I oent happen all the time.Frexampl, it isn't happening now. Sometimes, starts fter I hit a ar return.

As you can see, to make this even close to readable, it takes a LOT of backspacing, and retyping letters and spaces...very frustrating.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Start by trying a different browser, like Firefox or Chrome, and see what happens. I think this site has had problems with latest versions of IE and typing-related behaviors.

Steve, I might try using another browser, but I like/am comfortable with/used to IE. If IE isn't really supported here, it might just keep me away... I'm a fairly patient man, and I'm sticking with it for now. I'm sure I'm not the only one having this issue (I've seen some other comments about the same thing). Others may not be so patient... Typing right now is going quite smoothly. It seems as soon as I hit the ENTER/RETURN button, that is when things get screwy.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Well I would first try another browser and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, then you know it's something else and not SMC or IE.

But I would bet this is an issue with IE, which is known to have wacky behaviors compared to other browsers. There may or may not be an update to vBulletin out there that works around this problem, if it is indeed an issue with IE.

You don't have any 'helpers' for I.E. installed, do you? I had a somewhat similar occurence with a Firefox add-on for adding macro-like functions of unused keyboard keys. The glitch seemed to occur only in SMC and only when using 'non-standard' keyboard keys but yeah.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 12-05-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Nope, I don't add odd add ons. Actually, I don't add any add ons (not intentionally, at least). My thought is that IE is a pretty common (if not the most common) browser out there. Yeah, there are many that like others, but I know more people that use it than don't. If vBulletin or SMC doesn't work correctly with it, I see that as a "shooting oneself in the foot" thing... The odd thing is that it only starts happening after I hit the ENTER key (as in starting a new paragraph) and only on SMC. I tried signing in on Firefox and my password was not being accepted for some reason.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Does the latest IE have a compatibility mode option like previous versions did? It used to be at the end of the address bar. Try turning that on and see what happens.

In the meantime, a workaround that might help with your posting would be to type in a text editor (wordpad, etc.) and then paste your responses in. As a software guy, my opinion is that this will not be an easy bug to fix. It's a nasty interaction scenario with a lot of moving parts. The only good thing is that it appears that it is repeatable and can be invoked by typing a return character.

K

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Dying batteries in the wireless keyboard...
    Sorry for trying to help, Mike... won't make that mistake again.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5