Thread: Turnings in Use

Turnings in Use

Cell phone photos of recent visit to daughters family in SF brought back memories seeing some of my turnings put to use and display. photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG
    The Bradford Pear bowl(about 18"D) was holding some "Festive Socks" for guests. The Live Oak hollow form (about 10"H x 8"D) has a glass inside to hold the live flowers. The Sweet Gum NE is holding a giant Pine Cone that they had picked up on a trip. The Norfolk Island Pine has a glass holding live flowers. The last combined photo shows the addition of Bradford Pear (12"D) and Sycamore NE bowl/tray (19" L) that we added a coat of Grapeseed Oil to bring back finish for food use. I was proud of my work and that she wanted it prominently displayed.

Very nice especially the SG piece.

Tom,

I am sure you were feeling really warm inside to see all those in everyday use! I have a way to go to catch up with you!
    ~ Don't worry about what people think. They don't do it that often.

Facebook albums:

newer: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151105934183105.439169.711443104&type=1&l =665115c411
    older: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.137891188104.107199.711443104&type=1&l=6dfa 0d54be

Very nice work, and a thoughtful post...

Much like some others here at The Creek, most of my work is functional items. I see them in use at my family and friend's homes often, and it is a very satifying feeling. In fact, I make additional items for these same folks quite frequently. To believe that they might last through several generations is a nice feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin Burton View Post
    Tom,

I am sure you were feeling really warm inside to see all those in everyday use! I have a way to go to catch up with you!
    Kelvin - you just need a larger lathe. You have already passed me by as evident your Beads of Courage pieces at SWAT the last 2 years. It does make you feel good to see pieces used. I found a small 3"+D bowl in use for salt made back in 2005 that had a recess in bottom that reminded me how I have progressed. It is still fun, and I still have wood to share finding more than I can turn.