Thread: Sassoo wood

Sassoo wood

Has anyone tried turning Sassoo wood? I got a few chunks from some tree trimmers yesterday and was wondering what it's like to turn.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    Has anyone tried turning Sassoo wood? I got a few chunks from some tree trimmers yesterday and was wondering what it's like to turn.

Thanks,
    Jim
    I have turned 2 pieces I got from Kathy Marshall in Arizona. One was a hollow form....

IMGP3937.JPG

It turned well, and had pretty grain structure...........finished well also.........it is in the rosewood family of woods. It is Dalberga Sissoo from what I have read, and you will find it a nice wood to turn..........seemed to be fairly stable as well.........sort of like Mesquite.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks Roger. I'm in Arizona also and it seems this is a pretty common tree in this area along with Mesquite. How about that Kathy!! Not only is she talented but she's very giving as well. I hope to meet her one of these days.

Jim, she's a regular at our woodturner's association meetings. We meet on the 3rd Saturday of the month from 12-about 3pm at the Pyle Center in Tempe, at about Southern and Rural.

she has a photo of one of her pieces in newest American Woodturner