Thread: Vacuum system help needed

Vacuum system help needed

I just recently got this vacuum pump at an auction for cheap and with the intent of using it for a vacuum chucking system. Can I use this type of pump or did I make a wrong purchase? It is an oil displacement pump so when it's running, oil mist comes out the exhaust. Any other help and advise on putting together the system would be greatly appreciated. Sorry, I tried to post pics but the program said they were too big. It's a US General 2 stage 3CFM pump. According to the directions, it's used to work on refrigerant systems.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

Matt, I believe you will hear from several people who are using similar pumps. You should build a filter to catch the exhaust oil rather than let it float around your shop. If you have a convenient location in an adjacent room or outside, I would consider location the pump in another room.

Matt, looks like your pump should work just fine. Found some reviews of the pump here: Reviews

There are lots of How-To tutorials on building your own system located online. There are two articles located here on the Creek:

My Vacuum Chucking System
    Vacuum Chucking System - How I Built Mine
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Matt, there is some great DYI help for you on this site. Steve had a build tutorial that spells it all out. I built mine about 3 years ago and couldn't live without it. It really expands the shapes and styles that you can spin. And I found it easier and quicker than coles jaws and such, although the vac system isn't a cure-all. Go for it....

Here is another SMC DIY vacuum chucking unit you can check out.

"The best things in life are not things."

Thanks James. That's the same pump I have. PM sent.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum