Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southern Yellow Pine vs Dri-Core

How level is the concrete? Most garage floors are pitched to the center or front in case of gas spilling. Most likely you will need the 2x4s flat to level the floor.

Best way is to start from the highest part of the floor and screw the 2x4s into the sill plate. I would not drill or ramset into the concrete floor should you resell the house over time. It's easier to unscrew everything and take it with you.
    Don

James, just wondering what you do to keep the T&G Advantech together if they aren't fastened to sleepers. I want to put 4x8 T&G ply over a 15 psi or 25 psi XPS on 24" or 48" OC but figured I needed some sleepers to fasten the ply to. Then I'll put hardwood over the ply.

Hi Matt, I've installed it several ways - floated with no fasteners, tacked on the outer edges to sill plates, and Tapconed edges and field. Advantech goes together pretty snug, so it depends on your shop floor and environment if there will be any movement. Unless you are in a very humid environment it will stay flat, Advantech is a very stable product . If you have concerns about it moving, use Tapcons or tack the perimeter and spot Tapcon any trouble areas. You will probably have to tack the back edge on the first row during installation to keep your striaght line unless the wall you start on is straight. I just did my shop floor in October and floated it.

Edit: If you are going to put flooring over the Advantech, you will want to secure your subfloor down.
    Last edited by James Conrad; 01-06-2014 at 7:08 PM.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

I'm not planning on using Advantech, but instead 3/4" 4x8 T&G ply. In that case, would you lay sleepers 24" OC or 48" OC with a 15psi or 25psi EPS in between the sleepers? Or do you think 16" OC is needed with the XPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Neil View Post
    I'm not planning on using Advantech, but instead 3/4" 4x8 T&G ply. In that case, would you lay sleepers 24" OC or 48" OC with a 15psi or 25psi EPS in between the sleepers? Or do you think 16" OC is needed with the XPS?
    What kind of flooring?
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

3/4" hardwood. Not decided yet but leaning towards hickory or oak.

Well, since you are putting actual flooring in play it safe - sleepers secured down glued and screwed 19.2 O.C. , 1.5" XPS between, glue a screw the ply down.

Is it ok if the seams of the T&G ply don't land on the sleepers since they are 19.5" OC?

Is it ok if the seams of the T&G ply don't land on the sleepers since they are 19.5" OC?
    19.2 not .5

In my opinion, being as money is about the same Advantech or equal is a better option than plywood. I use it {Grace Brand} on every house I build. On my own house it was under water for three weeks as it rained every day that I framed it, and it did not swell one bit. It hold fasteners every bit as well as plywood if not better. I no longer use regular osb because of the swelling, and plywood delaminates when it is wet, which in my climate will happen before the roof is on.

It is also what I will be using in my new shop, painted, with ductwork and electrical underneath.

Larry

If you look at your tape measure, it has a mark similar to the ones at 16, 32, 48, etc on 19&2. Takes 5 per 8' instead of 6 per 8' and comes out 8' on center.